Sharing the Faith

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sharing the Faith

Post  0001 on 2/4/2010, 00:07

This is a big question for me. Overall I'm very new to being a guy with a massive faith. And any of you others like me know that one of the biggest things we want to do once we have reached this stage, is share it with others. But exactly how do we do this, and what is the best way to do it?

Recently I've had the opportunity to share the faith with many individuals, but because I don't really know what I'm doing, it's been rough. I've had some successes, and a massive failure. I will admit right off that it was my fault, I fell to the level of direct personal attacks, and that was wrong. All I did was create conflict, and destroyed whatever gains had been there in the first place. So it's obvious being confrontational is not the answer, nor is just outright preaching.

So exactly what is the best and most effective way to share God's good news?

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Sharing the Faith

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 2/4/2010, 14:58

There's nothing people hate more than missionaries. I don't know about you, but it's the most annoying thing in the world to me when I have to get up from watching TV to listen to some stupid Mormon or Jehovah's Witness talk about how wonderful their particular flavor of Christianity is, and then lie about how I will read the scripture they highlighted for me in their specific addition to the Bible.

I think the best way to spread the belief is to simply concentrate on being a Christian, rather than a salesman. Remember, you're trying to tell people about God, not sell Tupperware. Most churches have a youth group thing, and these youth groups usually do something that a secular kid would find mildly interesting at least. So, if any of your friends complain about being bored, just offer to bring them to youth group with you. And make sure they know the offer always stands.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/4/2010, 16:09

I agree, and you're right, door to door stuff is annoying. Concentrating on actually doing what we preach is also very important,saince being genuine is important. Youth groups are good, so are acts of service and kindness.

Last edited by astoriabluelegos on 2/4/2010, 23:22; edited 1 time in total

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  0010 on 2/4/2010, 18:14

Yes I agree that Inviting to youth group activity's are very good and also if you live your faith than other will ask you what's different about you(Such as a response to a trail).

As for the door to door I think that it has been worn out so much that not many are receptive when going door to door.
The Cleric

D1 Standard
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/4/2010, 19:22

Share the faith yet don't force it on someone until it's their time to know.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0010 on 2/4/2010, 20:24

Yup. Most people who you force your faith on become completely closed to any kind of religion.
The Cleric

D1 Standard
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/4/2010, 23:23

Yup pretty much, Powned anyone? Laughing

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/5/2010, 15:56

Well a wise person I know told you have to know when to reach for your Bible.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/6/2010, 08:22

@ABL, wow.. Well.. I'm kind of in the same boat too. Nobody really forced things down my throat, so to speak.. & I'm not closed to any kind of religion. I just question it.. Because it confuses & hurts my brain a bit because I try to figure out how it all works. & like you guys say to just trust God, but if nobody questioned anything then a lot of things would be different...

We would never know why we always come back down when we go up if Newton had never questioned it. If he just said, "Oh what does it matter?" Then we wouldnt have somethings..

Just think about that one guys before you label people as closed to any kind of religion.
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/6/2010, 19:00

Yeah that's true. I totally agree questioning it is actiually a good thing. But my problem is, I'm not real sure how to answer. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/6/2010, 19:47

The way to do it is walk from door to door dragging the Bible Cannon.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/6/2010, 21:13

ABL, Yeah, I guess...
Crinkle, seriously, if you came to my house and shot the Bible Cannon, I'd be really mad. Walking door to door isnt exactly the way to go..
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/6/2010, 22:55

I guess what I mean Kombustion, is that when people ask me about my faith, I'm not sure exactly how is the best way to answer questions. You saw how it went down with Powned, I did a terrible job, and was not above attacking him personally, which not only was bad, it deffinetly didn't help my argument.

@Crinkle: YES! *knock knock knock*-door opens- "REPENT SINNER!" BLAM! Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/7/2010, 01:35

Yeah, I got what you mean ABL.
& No no no. No bible cannon. I'm pretty sure that would just cause serious problems.. Haha..
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 2/7/2010, 11:52

Wait, are we talking about those little orange ones, or the big, full-fledged Bibles? Because the orange ones are smaller, would spread out more, and be harder to dodge. And they would still pack quite a punch.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/7/2010, 12:02

You guys are nuts.. I'm telling you.. No bible cannons.
People will bring out some REAL cannons & then you guys would have problems..
Lol..
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/7/2010, 14:00

Sgt Angry Egg wrote:Wait, are we talking about those little orange ones, or the big, full-fledged Bibles? Because the orange ones are smaller, would spread out more, and be harder to dodge. And they would still pack quite a punch.

That's true, Bible birdshot anyone? Razz

@Kombustion: We're just messing around. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/7/2010, 14:57

No the way to convert people is to fire the Bible cannon at Atheist picnics.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/7/2010, 16:24

Ohhh yes! Twisted Evil Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/7/2010, 20:08

Well it's fun to.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0010 on 2/7/2010, 22:20

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:No the way to convert people is to fire the Bible cannon at Atheist picnics.

FTW! cheers
The Cleric

D1 Standard
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/7/2010, 22:25

Totally! Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top