Megachurch Pastor Guides Christians on Alcohol, R-Rated Movies

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Megachurch Pastor Guides Christians on Alcohol, R-Rated Movies

Post  0001 on 8/8/2009, 13:35

Just some food for thought:

Drinking alcohol, watching R-rated movies and cussing are just some of the countless "gray" areas in the Christian life.

Hoping to help guide Christians, new and seasoned alike, on issues that are not spelled out in black and white in the Bible, one Charlotte, N.C., pastor offered them a framework from which they can make their own decisions.

"I'm not going to give you an answer key," said Pastor Steven Furtick of Elevation Church during his sermon this past weekend. "I'm not going to try to make black and white issues out of what's gray in the Word of God. That would be malpractice on my part. I'm not going to back down either from making a black and white issue out of a clearly right and wrong scriptural issue."

Opposing legalism, or "beating people up" with the Bible, the young megachurch pastor cautioned Christians against making an absolute truth out of their own personal preference.

"That's where we get in trouble," he said.

Rather than make a Christian boycott list, he encouraged believers to ask themselves three questions when dealing with a gray issue: "Is it best? Does it build (others up)? Does it bind?"

"Just because I can doesn't mean I should," the Elevation pastor emphasized.

Addressing Christians who may be compromising some of their values or beliefs or involved in activities that are sabotaging their spiritual growth, Furtick said, "You might get to heaven when you die and you might not burn in hell for it, but there's probably a smarter way to do it."

"It might not be a wrong thing; it might just be a stupid thing," he added.

Rather than approach gray matters from the "how far can I compromise and still go to heaven" stance, Furtick challenged them to take a different approach.

"Stop trying to get as close to the edge as you can and start trying to stay as close to the source (God) as possible," he urged.

Reminding Christians that they've been bought with a price, Furtick stressed, "Our Christian liberty is not a license to be idiots or to flirt with sin."

Addressing some of the practical and hot button issues, the Charlotte pastor briefly touched on alcohol and R-rated movies.

For Furtick, his personal legalism is not drinking – not because he thinks it's bad but because his family has had generations of alcoholics.

He also noted that he's bothered by preachers who preach against drinking when they're, for example, overweight.

"The Bible has more to say about gluttony than it does about drinking," he said.

When it comes to R-rated movies, Furtick pointed out that there are network sitcoms that teach disrespectful attitude toward parents and are "way more sinful" than R-rated movies.

On a personal level, he explained that at times he chooses not to watch such movies not because he is trying to please other Christians (because you'll never please all of them, he noted) but because it might not leave the best impression especially on an unbeliever.

"I can't make a career out of catering to other Christians, but I can make it a priority to protect my testimony," he stressed.

Furtick's sermon was part of Elevation's "Cow Tipping" series which addressed questions that are often avoided in churches.

LINK to the original page where I found this.

Last edited by astoriabluelegos on 9/9/2010, 23:32; edited 1 time in total

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Megachurch Pastor Guides Christians on Alcohol, R-Rated Movies

Post  Jedi Joe on 8/9/2009, 20:58

Alcohol is good in moderation. Jesus and his disciples drank wine a lot during their suppers and gatherings, just not enough to get drunk.

R-rated movies... I saw Passion of the Christ, I do not think by any circumstances that is a bad movie. It really gives you a sense of what really happened to Jesus, and definitely miles more intense than the kiddie Biblical cartoons. But yeah, most R-rated movies are lame except for a few. And Furtick does have a point about the garbage they put on TV being worse than R-rated movies. And some PG-13 flicks are on the borderline of being R... Has anyone seen the second Transformers film?

Great points put together by Pastor Furtick. I wish he would be on the public spotlight. Hearing Reverend Jeremiah Wrong wishing damnation from God upon America really makes me cringe sometimes...
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 8/10/2009, 09:54

I agree with you Joe, all things in moderation as they say. You make some very good and interesting points, and I do agree with what you are saying. Especially about the last one. Instead of blasting America, we as Christians should be actively working to make it a better place, not just standing by and letting it rot away.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Good reasoning

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 9/18/2009, 19:38

Cpt. crinkle wrote:Jesus drank wine but wine has hardly any alcohol in it. Very Happy
Yeh, and it might have even been red wine (we don't really know), and that is actully good for you. Smile

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Cussing is bad

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 10/15/2009, 20:36

Cussing is really bad since sometimes it is hard to avoid it. Those people who do it without thinking are way beyond themselves.

Last edited by Cpt. Crinkle on 10/21/2009, 07:02; edited 1 time in total

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/15/2009, 22:15

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:Cussing is really bad since sometimes it is hard to avoid it. But even in school ABL cussed someone out.

Whoa whoa whoa! First off, you are saying this COMPLETLY OUT OF CONTEXT! I did not "Cuss someone out", it was in MIDDLE SCHOOL before I found my relationship with God, I was a very messed up little kid, and I was picked on incessently. After I found that relationship with God however, I never swore again. I no longer needed to, and I realized how stupid, and subversive swearing is. It's only purpose is to harm, it does no good. And from a grammatical standpoint, it's stupid since it's using a bunch of words COMPLETLY out of context for the only person of offending other.

So when you are saying these things, remember to say ALL the details, especially if it's about another person. Plus that incident is a very personal thing for me, it was tough for me to share at Youth Group, as I'm not proud of that time in my life. It was really only meant FOR THEM. So asking my permission before you blurted it out on the very public internet, would have been nice.
Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/16/2009, 03:38

Woah.... This is entertaining. Just delete crinkles post next time.... Like I have... About 50 times... Cause he called me racist...
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 10/16/2009, 07:03

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:Cussing is really bad since sometimes it is hard to avoid it. But even in school ABL cussed someone out.

affraid Laughing
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

You did

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 10/16/2009, 10:13

You did ABL this was a mistake everyone has their problems. Somtimes people let stuff slip no big problem just forgive them and be forgiven for a sin like that. Tha's all.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/16/2009, 13:19

Still, no reason to call him out on it.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/16/2009, 17:21

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Still, no reason to call him out on it.

Exactly, if I wanted to share it, then I would share it. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/16/2009, 17:24

You should be able to sue him....
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/16/2009, 17:28

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:You should be able to sue him....

Nah, I'll just articulate it into a good thing. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/16/2009, 17:47

Wow.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/16/2009, 17:59

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Wow.

In Crinkle's defense, I prolly would have posted it eventually anyway, it's a good example of what NOT to do. So having Crinkle say it, might actually be a blessing in disguise. Smile

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/16/2009, 23:36

Well, it's still irksome. But that's my opinion
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

I now call myself on it

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 10/17/2009, 18:36

One time I cussed mistakenly at Ben's house I still rememeber it to this day. I wish I was never exposed to some of this stuff.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/19/2009, 00:21

Well, in common society, which like it or not has a huge affect on things, whether you like it or not.... I'd have to say congrats crinkle.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/19/2009, 18:57

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:One time I cussed mistakenly at Ben's house I still rememeber it to this day. I wish I was never exposed to some of this stuff.

You know, you don't have to let all that get to you and affect you. It's really not that hard to avoid doing it, once you have God on your side. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Society is not best

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 10/19/2009, 20:50

Do not follow society but what you have been given from God.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/20/2009, 18:49

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:Do not follow society but what you have been given from God.

Precisely. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/20/2009, 23:33

Well, let's see here.... I like society.
Am I choosing it over god? No, but I'm definatly not doing away with it. Cussing is just a sound that comes out of your mouth that 'society' things is impure. Two to one is god doesn't even know what it means. The only true cussing is using the lords name in vain.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/21/2009, 09:28

^Actually no, as Christians we are always supposed be honoring God and promoting kindness towards others. Swearing has no good purpose, it only offends and harms, therefore it is un-Christian. Since we must always strive to spread kindness. There is already enough people out there spreading evil. God doesn't want Christians to be "middle of the road" when it comes to faith or a Christian lifestyle, we can't pick and choose what to believe and do, an what not to believe and do. We have to follow ALL the rules, or NONE. As the story says at the beginning of this topic, sure cussing is a gray area technically, but because it seeks only to harm, it's a bad idea. Plus it uses words completly out of context, and therefore demonstrates lower intelligence of the user in my opinion.

For example:"Wow, that was some amazing TREE yesterday, that COW lady was really CAT upset." See, I just basically swore using different words in the same application, it makes no sense at all.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/1/2009, 22:42

I just cleaned up this thread a little, trying to make the forums a little less random.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/2/2009, 10:42

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:I just cleaned up this thread a little, trying to make the forums a little less random.

Alrighty, that's a great idea actually.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top