Key to Salvation

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/10/2010, 12:15

We were recently just discussing this topic over in the "Riddle of Epicurus" thread, what exactly is required to get into heaven? James and Peter provided some scripture to back up my claim that only faith will get you into heaven. Well "out of sheer coincidence" a report on this very subject came on the radio on Air 1 today.

It started out by talking about religious folks. Turns out that statistically people who are religious have lower cases of heart disease, lower rates of obesity, lower cholesteral, and had more content lives. But then the announcer said there was some bad news. This bad news is that many religious people will not get into heaven, because it's your personal relationship with God that matters, not your religiousness.

The announcer made several really good comments. What he said was that you can be a regular at church every Sunday, know every verse of the Bible by heart, and live a Christian lifestyle, and still not get into heaven. He quoted from Revelations, stating that many very religious folks will be stopped at the gates, because the core of their beliefs are missing.

The point of this is, the only way to get into heaven is to have a relationship with Jesus. Everything else doesn't matter, you must have that core faith. This makes me think of a lot of people I know who claim to be Christian, they go to church, know and quote the Bible, but do they have that core faith? I never realized before just how important this is. Prayer and faith, that is the only thing that can lead us to salvation and eternal life. We need to have that trust in God, and ask him into our lives. If we don't have the faith, then we miss the point.

God created everything, and he made the rules, so often we get caught up in church and religion, but still miss the main point. We have to have that faith as the foundation for the rest of it. So basically Church, knowing the Bible, that's all fine and dandy, but that's not the most important thing. You can go to church, know the Bible, but still do not have that core faith, and someone who has never stepped foot in a church, but who has that faith, will get into heaven, and you will not. Heaven is not a free for all, we have to earn going there. Fact of the matter is there are very strict requirements for getting in.

That's one reason I prefer not to quote scripture all the time, I prefer to draw from my own faith and perspective rather then the Bible, because to me, I think it gets the point across better. So when you pray, make sure to invite God into your life, get him actively involved in how you live. That's what I've done, have you? Wink

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0010 on 2/10/2010, 23:56

astoriabluelegos wrote: The announcer made several really good comments. What he said was that you can be a regular at church every Sunday, know every verse of the Bible by heart, and live a Christian lifestyle, and still not get into heaven. He quoted from Revelations, stating that many very religious folks will be stopped at the gates, because the core of their beliefs are missing.


These are the verses... they're very powerful.

Matthew 7:22,23 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

astoriabluelegos wrote:The point of this is, the only way to get into heaven is to have a relationship with Jesus. Everything else doesn't matter, you must have that core faith. This makes me think of a lot of people I know who claim to be Christian, they go to church, know and quote the Bible, but do they have that core faith? I never realized before just how important this is. Prayer and faith, that is the only thing that can lead us to salvation and eternal life. We need to have that trust in God, and ask him into our lives. If we don't have the faith, then we miss the point.

yes but if we have faith without works is dead.... there needs to be a balance

James 2: 14-18 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
avatar
0010
The Cleric

D1 Standard
Location : Oregon
Posts : 763
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/11/2010, 00:00

True, Faith without works is dead, that's a good point. Meaning we need to get out there and make a difference! Very Happy

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/11/2010, 16:36

Some groups of protestants believe good works is not part of the faith of Christianity.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/12/2010, 23:26

Well it is, God doesn't want us to sit around and do nothing, plus James quoted that directly out of the Bible. God says that the best way to share the faith is through selfless service. Sitting around may be good for us, but it doesn't spread the faith, we need to be examples of what it means to be a Christian. Wink

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/14/2010, 20:11

Well it depends upon your denomination and they don't say you can't do them they just say good works don't help you into heaven. I was just stating knowledge I had you don't need to fiercely attack that idea.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/15/2010, 23:14

I didn't "fiercly attack your idea" I'm stating that they are wrong as well as right. They are correct in the fact that good works alone will do nothing to help you into heaven. However, the very deffinition of what it means to be a Christian is service. So although service is not the ticket, faith is, service is still an important aspect of being Christian. Wink

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/16/2010, 22:23

Well a combination of things helps but still I was more just saying some of my knowledge and sorry about the fiercely part.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  80-0 on 2/17/2010, 05:44

I'm a Catholic, and my dad has always said this: Catholicism, and most Christian sects, are simply the most democratic religion, because we believe that EVERYONE can be saved. I certainly believe it.

As for salvation, I believe that God forgives our mortal and venial sins through the always wonderful sacrament of Penance (and venial sins through the Eucharist!). That said, salvation depends entirely on the sins on your soul and the temporal punishment due thereof. So what I've been taught (which is what the Church [capital C] teaches) is that if you confess your sins, you don't go to hell, but depending on the punishment still on your soul, you will spend time in Purgatory. However, one of the few ways temporal punishment can be remitted on this earth is through indulgences.


So in my humble opinion, the Church is simply the clearest on matters of salvation. We're not iffy on "well, he was a good person" and "well, he was this and that". We have our truths which have been handed down over the centuries from Christ himself, and we stand by them.


However, you may say "What about this guy who did this wonderful thing? he never did anything too evil, so his good acts counteract whatever faults he had right?" I say no. I say it's your fault and your fault alone if you don't accept the teachings of Christ during your life. Now I'm not saying God can't be merciful to all such people and grant them entry into Heaven, certainly not, because God can do anything. But I am saying that you can't just assume since a person was good that they'll get to Heaven. How about a surprisingly benevolent atheist? He rejected God. Does his goodness countermand his rejection? I don't think so.
avatar
80-0

None
Location : Cold and snowy New York, as always.
Posts : 470
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0010 on 2/17/2010, 09:41

The only thing I don't agree with you is the thing about purgatory... I don't believe that we will have punishment if we ask God for cleansing

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

That's pretty self-explanatory...
avatar
0010
The Cleric

D1 Standard
Location : Oregon
Posts : 763
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/17/2010, 12:14

I agree with James on that one specific part. I agree with pretty much everything else you said 80-0.

@Crinkle: Ah, gotcha.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  80-0 on 2/20/2010, 13:59

Choppedliver wrote:The only thing I don't agree with you is the thing about purgatory... I don't believe that we will have punishment if we ask God for cleansing

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

That's pretty self-explanatory...

Yup. Provided you do it... IN THE SACRAMENT OF CONFESSION! Very Happy

But that's fair enough, as long as we convict ourselves of the sins we've committed and confess them honestly, as long as we're in the state of grace it's all downhill from there.


Or uphill, rather, to heaven. (badum TISH)
avatar
80-0

None
Location : Cold and snowy New York, as always.
Posts : 470
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/20/2010, 21:13

Two things that don't agree with me are: I don't believe in purgatory and you shouldn't have to confess sins to a priest or at all in a church. Along with the confession of sins I believe you only have to confess to God and this can be done anywhere.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/20/2010, 21:15

In the Catholic Church what is with the praising of saints? My uncle explained it as they are showing them as holy people along with Jesus yet I still don't get the ideas of praising saints.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0010 on 2/20/2010, 23:04

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:Two things that don't agree with me are: I don't believe in purgatory and you shouldn't have to confess sins to a priest or at all in a church. Along with the confession of sins I believe you only have to confess to God and this can be done anywhere.

This is the basis of the Christian faith pretty much (other than God, Jesus, and the Bible Very Happy)
avatar
0010
The Cleric

D1 Standard
Location : Oregon
Posts : 763
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/21/2010, 22:58

Precisely, faith is between you and the big guy. Wink

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  80-0 on 2/22/2010, 06:22

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:Two things that don't agree with me are: I don't believe in purgatory and you shouldn't have to confess sins to a priest or at all in a church. Along with the confession of sins I believe you only have to confess to God and this can be done anywhere.

Then that means you can sin, confess the sins, sin some more, confess the sins, etc. etc. all without leaving one room. Am I right?

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:In the Catholic Church what is with the praising of saints? My uncle explained it as they are showing them as holy people along with Jesus yet I still don't get the ideas of praising saints.

We're doing two things: First we are praising them for living such holy lives. Second, since we know they are in heaven, we are asking them to pray for us here on earth.
avatar
80-0

None
Location : Cold and snowy New York, as always.
Posts : 470
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/22/2010, 11:59

You could, but part of being Christian means that you wouldn't do that. Wink The Catholic system is okay as far I'm concerned, it's just another form of Christianity really.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/22/2010, 18:39

So the Catholic system is interesting a reason for the Protestant Reformation.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 2/22/2010, 20:25

Do I smell incomplete and/or incoherent sentences???
avatar
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 456
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/22/2010, 21:15

Mmmmm maybe. Razz Crinkle, I know how strongly you feel about this, but Catholics get into heaven also, since we share the same core beliefs. So arguing the point calling catholicism wrong is not what God wants, as it could cause others to faulter in their faith. Food for thought.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0010 on 2/22/2010, 21:16

Well... maybe some catholics aren't going to heaven...
avatar
0010
The Cleric

D1 Standard
Location : Oregon
Posts : 763
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0001 on 2/22/2010, 21:37

Okay, well neither are some "Christians" it all depends on your faith. Wink

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4039
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  0010 on 2/22/2010, 21:41

Yup.
avatar
0010
The Cleric

D1 Standard
Location : Oregon
Posts : 763
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/23/2010, 19:19

I know but many of the beliefs seem crazy even though they are Christian too.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Key to Salvation

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum