A simple overview of beliefs of each person

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A simple overview of beliefs of each person

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/20/2010, 21:21

I believe in the use of two of the original sacraments which are: baptism and communion. Also my church follows less strict standards but we still follow the rules of the Bible. My church is very open and we don't always have to just have straight boring sermons but sometimes stories that fit into the topic of the week. One thing we have too is we don't have to only have a traditional service but one with more modern Christian music and less wordage to get a message through.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: A simple overview of beliefs of each person

Post  0001 on 2/21/2010, 22:59

Yup, keep it simple you know? Faith really is a simple thing, it's just a relationship with God. Although I can appreciate complex services, I like the laid back family feel of our church, it makes the faith experience so much more personal. Wink

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/21/2010, 23:02

Laidback church seems a lot more fun to me. Smile When I was little, we went to a really not laidback at all kind of church.. & I would fall asleep. EVERY TIME.

But now that I'm going to a church with an incredibly funny pastor who makes it so interesting, I really enjoy church & stay awake. Smile
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/21/2010, 23:05

SEE! Now that is how church should be, it should be "church yes!" not "Oh church again.... grumble". It should be fun and entertaining, THAT'S how we spread the faith, we need to make it attractive, because it IS once you get into it. I'm really glad to hear that Kombustion. Very Happy

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/21/2010, 23:11

Yes, making church attractive. Smile Haha, I just like how its entertaining & really quite inspiring. One of the sermons the pastor wrote was "The other F Word... FAITH"

I laughed even when I heard the name of it. Smile But I couldnt wait to hear what he was gonna talk about. Smile
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/21/2010, 23:55

That's awesome, it's like the other "C" word, Christianity. It seems like those two words create the same reactions as swearing these days...

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/21/2010, 23:57

Hmm.. I think you're right on that one.. It cause quite a fuss.
Its kinda sad, but people arent so understanding...
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/22/2010, 11:59

Ditto that, it is sad, and really annoying sometimes as well. Mad

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/22/2010, 12:37

Yes, yes it can be. I just dont see why people come at things with understanding... I try my hardest to come at things with an understanding angle.. At times its really hard, but I'm usually successful in understanding things.

People shouldnt get so worked up about God, Jesus, Faith, and whatever.. Honestly, I think asking questions is good, but getting angry & causing problems with it is a totally different ball game that I dont agree with.

I know some people who even hate being around religious people, they find it awkward & weird for some reason.. So they cant be around them at all.. Now, I get when there's a person going around yelling at bystanders, "HEY YA'LL ARE GOING TO HELL IF YOU DONT BELIEVE!!!! *Hiss* *Hiss* *Throws holy water upon bystanders*" that it would be uncomfortable * not wanting to be around them. But I mean, when its just regular ol' people talking about god, I really dont see why it gets so uncomfortable & weird. People just get angry for silly reasons, I think.
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/22/2010, 13:09

Hahaha I could be described as both parties in that statement. Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/22/2010, 13:12

Nahh.. I cant really imagine you being one of those angry looking people who just yell at people. Smile I think its fine when people just come & talk to people like a normal person. Smile Some people just WAY overreact to things like Christ & Faith.. Its like they think its the devil or somethin'.
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/22/2010, 13:32

Heh thanks. Smile Yes they do, I wonder if maybe its because they have been struggling with that themselves, and when someone brings it up, it's like bringing that internal struggle to the service, so they get defensive.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 2/22/2010, 13:37

You're welcome ABL. Smile

& I never really thought about it that way.. But it makes sense.
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/22/2010, 13:38

I have a feeling that's a part of it, because I....ummmm......have never ever been like that.... Laughing

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/22/2010, 18:38

When I become a pastor I will try to keep stuff interesting because that's how I am.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/22/2010, 21:15

Ohhhh yeah, that's a for sure thing. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 3/1/2010, 11:38

Well, keeping it simple means you have to do less to get to heaven, which is basically watering it down significantly. You're downplaying the importance of keeping your soul in good shape.

How on earth do you survive without all seven sacraments? If you don't have Holy Orders how do you have Mass (service if you must) if you don't have priests, and how then do you have the Holy Eucharist without priests? How do you marry? Do you take all the spirituality out of marriage? Is it in a Mass (oh, right, service) or is it just a social contract? Do you have divorce? Do you have a priest do it? After all, Christ said "What you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven."

Questions, questions, questions.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 3/1/2010, 12:04

A lot of that is just static, we're simply talking about the bare minimum to get into heaven, only faith and request for forgiveness will get you there. Sure all the other stuff is important to living as a Christian, but it won't get into heaven, only faith will Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 3/1/2010, 12:14

So if Osama Bin Laden suddenly has faith, in his cave, somewhere in the Middle East, and he asks God (doesn't even believe in Jesus, doesn't believe in anything in the Bible and has probably never read it, or maybe has and denounced it as nonsense) for forgiveness, he will go to Heaven when he dies?

I don't mean to call you out on what you said, but that sounds pretty lame. Neutral

Furthermore, that simply can't happen the way I describe it. He is a Muslim, so he believes that by killing the infidels he is doing Allah proud, and by dying in the fight against the infidels, he is making himself a martyr for Allah and thus goes straight to "heaven".

He would first have to accept God's existence, accept that Jesus existed, etc. etc., before he truly has faith in God. He'd have to do a lot in order to "have faith". That's what I said earlier, about it sounding very vague. The reason I'm a Catholic is because the Catholic Church has everything laid out oh so clearly, that we know exactly how Osama could reconcile himself with God. Faith is one part of it, absolutely. But how do you "have faith"? You and I have it simple: we know the principles, and we believe them; thus we have faith. But what about those outside the Church? How are they to join us in communion with Christ? Again, the Church lays that out very clearly.

Now I know Christianity will always stand by the principle that everyone can be saved; I certainly don't think Osama can't be saved, I just think that if you look back in history, in the High Middle Ages, you didn't see people simply asking for forgiveness and assuming that they had it. You saw people receiving the Sacraments regularly, confessing their sins regularly in the only way that absolutely assures you that you received forgiveness, and overall living holy lives because of the importance of their religion in their lives.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 3/1/2010, 12:17

Unless Osama turned away from the muslim religion, became Christian, and genuinely accepted Jesus into his heart, I don't think he can be saved.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 3/1/2010, 12:27

Ditto that Joe.

@80-0: Yeah, he would have to believe in God AND Christ and all that they stand for, that's what I mean by "faith". And yes you do need to constantly confess your sins, but TO GOD, not to a person, only God has the power to forgive sins, and he can do that directly, without going through someone. Wink But I guess as long as you confess both to God, and the Church, then it's totally fine. But confessing ONLY to the Church won't get you anywhere, they don't have that power.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 3/1/2010, 13:13

astoriabluelegos wrote:Ditto that Joe.

@80-0: Yeah, he would have to believe in God AND Christ and all that they stand for, that's what I mean by "faith". And yes you do need to constantly confess your sins, but TO GOD, not to a person, only God has the power to forgive sins, and he can do that directly, without going through someone. Wink But I guess as long as you confess both to God, and the Church, then it's totally fine. But confessing ONLY to the Church won't get you anywhere, they don't have that power.

@ [b]: Noooo, you're wrong there! What about "Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them. Whose sins you shall retain, they are retained."? That power was passed to St. Peter and the Apostles, and Peter became the first Pope. Thus Peter and the apostles continued to ordain more priests as did the future popes, passing down that power, along with the power of the other sacraments to the priesthood.

That's why the priesthood is so important, and why Pope Benedict called the Ecclesiastical Year of 2009 to be the Year for Priests, because we forget just where the priesthood came from, as well as the papacy. Peter was the first pope; Pope Benedict is directly connected to Peter in that he is his successor. Thus the Apostles were the first bishops and priests of the Church, and every priest, bishop, and cardinal ordained through the Sacrament of Holy Orders is directly connected to the Apostles.

How cool is that?

And you say we don't need priests. Razz
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 3/1/2010, 13:17

They're okay, but they're not God, they are just people. Honestly no, I don't think we require them, but they don't cause any harm either, as long as the distinction between them and God's divinity is made. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 3/1/2010, 13:20

Jesus was God AND a people. (yes bad grammar Razz )

In my view they're God's representatives on earth; after all they go all the way back to the guys who spent the most time with him (sans Mary and Joseph, acourse).
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 3/1/2010, 13:21

Yeah, but don't forget, so are we. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top