Chastity, or lack thereof...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chastity, or lack thereof...

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 5/1/2011, 04:47

Alright, here's one for ya: what, exactly, is sex? Kissing is not sex. Is heavy petting? At what point does 'acceptable' physical contact (hand holding, mild cuddling) become 'unacceptable'?

Or, what if you become a teen parent...through adoption? Is that still morally questionable, even though there was no actual sex to be had?

Is it still adultery if two, consenting adults agree to have an open relationship with other consenting adults?
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/1/2011, 16:25

The Bible defines it as the actual physical act if I remember correctly, but where to the draw the line is a good question. Adoption would not be a sin, because according to biblical teachings you have not done anythings wrong, but it would probably still be unwise because children are a very big commitment. Yes, it says that adultery is not only confined to the physical act, but the mind as well. Any sexual relations other than your married partner is adultery according to the Bible.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  0010 on 5/1/2011, 22:02

The line is draw on where the Holy Spirit convicts you on everything that is to be in the Christian life, of course beside all that is clearly set out in the Bible. The line may vary and change depending on where the believer is in there walk with God.
The Cleric

D1 Standard
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/2/2011, 18:11

Very true James.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 5/4/2011, 18:39

First of all, "teen parent through adoption"? Sorry that doesn't compute to me! Adoption is for couples who are having trouble conceiving, or for families who so choose.

Since it's already so screwed up for teens to actually HAVE kids, isn't it encouraging such behavior for them to be adopting kids? I don't think they're prepared for the responsibility.

As for the bigger question of what defines sex, really, it's just the one act between man and woman which is made holy by the marital state. Anything else is a perversion (when I say anything else I mean any other "sex acts" which are not conducive to conception). As for hand holding and cuddling and so forth, no, I think that's fine, as long as you both understand you are a transition state between here and marriage. It strengthens your relationship and also strengthens your resistance to the temptation of going further. Since artificial contraception is wrong, married couples who do not want large families (who wouldn't want a large family, though, just to spite the environmentalists? Razz ) are going to need to practice restraint, and doing so in the period before marriage is important.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/4/2011, 21:51

I agree, mostly. I actually believe in contraception because humans are weak when it comes to this, and contraception keeps abortion from becoming more prevalent for "mistake" pregnancies because chastity is such a problem in humanity.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 10/22/2011, 00:13

Why is contraception wrong?

And I forget, where does it define adultery in the Bible? I'm too lazy to look it up myself, so any verses off the top of your head will help.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/22/2011, 10:54

I'm not sure exactly why some people think it's wrong, predominantly Catholics or some ultra conservatives I've known have believed it to be wrong.

It's mentioned in several places including Deuteronomy, Peter, Mathew, and Galatians to name a few. Adultery is defined as anything from looking at someone with lustful intent, to cheating on one's spouse.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 10/25/2011, 09:53

astoriabluelegos wrote: I agree, mostly. I actually believe in contraception because humans are weak when it comes to this, and contraception keeps abortion from becoming more prevalent for "mistake" pregnancies because chastity is such a problem in humanity.

That's from the standpoint of accepting abortion as part of society. I want neither abortion nor contraception, and MORE BABIES! Yes, folks, I want more babies.

Sgt Angry Egg wrote:Why is contraception wrong?

And I forget, where does it define adultery in the Bible? I'm too lazy to look it up myself, so any verses off the top of your head will help.

Because it curtails the God-given human ability to reproduce.

With great pleasure comes great responsibility, I suppose one could say.

And besides, who doesn't want more babies? cheers
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/25/2011, 10:14

Yes, but I believe in contraceptives simply because that a lot of young single women are having kids, and so are families who make poor choices, therefore introducing kids into bad family environments simply because their parents made poor choices. So even if it is wrong, I believe it to be a necessary evil because the masses in general cannot be expected to control themselves (unfortunately), and if it isn't available then society will be burdened with many dependent families, and children who aren't loved.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 10/25/2011, 11:39

I don't believe it's a necessary evil because, as we said, adoption should be the first choice.

It's one thing to say it should be allowed "for the masses in general because they can't control themselves". It's another thing to believe that's immoral and that good Christian people ought not use it, and ought not put themselves in that situation.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/26/2011, 19:23

Well yes generally, I do support adoption, and I am definitely a supporter of self control.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 10/27/2011, 11:08

Ok. So since those are two GOOD things that are NOT intrinsically evil that lead AWAY from the aforesaid evils of abortion and contraception, ought not we strive for the propagation of those, rather than taking the easy way out? When has the easy way out ever been historically the morally correct way out? Very rarely. As Christians we have an uphill battle to fight. Allowing little sins to break away from bigger sins does not win the fight against the devil. Sin is sin: big or small, it is always evil and the production of it in us will always be the devil's chief goal. So while we may feel the need to allow for contraception to end abortion, we are in reality continuing the trend of self-love and self-pleasure which lead to abortion in the first place.

We think we are respecting life by stopping abortion... but by allowing contraception we are losing respect for the family. The family is the antidote to abortion AND contraception, and that's why we must fight to preserve it.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/27/2011, 13:10

Yes but trying to get society at large to share our same views is impossible, people like to sin and people rarely exercise self control. It's always been that way and it's never going to change. And for me, there are more important issues to fight rather than contraceptives, such as abortion itself.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 10/27/2011, 18:23

I agree. I'm not saying ban contraception, though I'd like that, I'm saying ban abortion because it's a clear and present evil that we can defeat, and I'm further saying DON'T fight abortion with contraception.

Abortion can be beat on the grounds of the defense of human life. Once abortion is ended we can worry about contraception. But let's not ENABLE and ENDORSE what you seem to be calling the 'lesser of two evils' if only to take out the greater evil. We must fight evil with good, not with other evils.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/1/2011, 10:24

Oh okay, I guess I more or less agree.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top