We need to move forward

View previous topic View next topic Go down

We need to move forward

Post  Jedi Joe on 4/2/2010, 17:38

Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why NASA(along with the other space agencies) are so important to the evolution of civilization, and how the people in power are taking it for granted.

It is important that we move forward and spread our presence to other planets. Do you think God wants us confined to this one, tiny, minuscule planet? No. He gave us a whole solar system, a whole galaxy, a whole UNIVERSE to explore. I suggest we make progress.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Re: We need to move forward

Post  0001 on 4/2/2010, 17:41

I LOVE Neil!!!! NOVA Science NOW is da BOMB! And yeah, I totally agree with you Joe. Smile

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kombustion on 4/2/2010, 21:50

Wow, that guy is a fantastic speaker.
I also agree that we need to strive to go explore more.
We were built with curiosity in mind.. Why not go for it?
Kombustion

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 4/3/2010, 09:33

I really believe we should move forward. To the moon and beyond but we have to develop spacecraft to capable of landing on other planets. The space shuttles are now almost out of service and obsolete.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/3/2010, 23:31

Actually the shuttles are to be decommissioned this year, they technically expired in 07 though. So when they go out, we will be at a major loss since we currently do not have a replacement launch system.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 4/4/2010, 08:18

Yea, and we won't be working on more important things, like the MOON AND MARS MISSIONS... Thanks Obama.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/4/2010, 12:03

Well to be honest, he did put the kill on those missions, but he also directed funding into replacing the shuttle system. Which honestly should be top priority. The whole shuttle concept/idea is a really good one, but it needs to be updated. I mean, these things were designed in the 70's...... Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 4/4/2010, 20:06

We can rely on the Russians to get us to and from the space station.

WE NEED TO EXPAND OUR HORIZONS
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/5/2010, 12:23

I know they can currently supply the station. But rockets in general are so inefficient, the idea of a space plane is a golden one, and one we should focus on. A space plane is reusable, and a lot cheaper to fly regularly then a rocket launch system, they can often carry larger payloads too. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 4/5/2010, 21:40

Can it easily land on other planets easily though?

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 4/5/2010, 22:23

True, a space plane is much better for low-Earth orbit stuff like the ISS, but like Neil said, we need to go to the other planets. George W. Bush had the perfect plan for NASA in 2004, and we had to throw that down the toilet.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/6/2010, 00:16

Well a next generation space plane could theoretically be equipped to land and take off from other planets, and it would be more efficient then the old lander/base configuration I think.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 10/22/2011, 00:28

I think pro-space exploration people often get too flighty and scare off potential investors. If anything's ever going to happen, it needs to be profitable, so investors will be willing to put money into it. We should emphasize the superior efficiency of sunlight harvesting on space stations due to the lack of atmosphere, or figure out space mining profit projections, or encourage space forges to manufacture better ball bearings (in space, the molten metal would form perfect spheres, while on earth it forms slightly lopsided ones - perfectly spherical ball bearings would cut down on machine wear and tear, saving money). I think if people thought about the more practical stuff (saving money on ball bearings and machinery) rather than the 'cool' stuff (landing things on mars to take pictures), it would get more movers and shakers interested.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/22/2011, 11:03

You've got a point there. There are also large deposits of valuable ores and things like Methane on other planets that could be used to power civilization as well. And your point about Ball Bearings is a very good one I think.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top