Taken too literally

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Taken too literally

Post  0001 on 4/27/2010, 16:22

Actually what FDR did is not what Obama is doing today. Although they are similer, the difference is FDR focused on key industries the economy needed to operate. And actually in a sense you actually can spend your way out of a deppression. Because that what defines a depression, the money is the same, it's just not moving around. What Obama is doing today is not as effective because our system is much more complex then it was then. Also the overall context was just different then.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 4/27/2010, 19:53

FDR was a good president. He did work to draw closer out of the Great Depression but what really ended it was WW2. And yes Glenn Beck is so closed minded even if I was a Republican I wouldn't listen to him. So I can turn your idea of a "good" president back at you as you disagree with me as I disagree with you.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 4/28/2010, 13:23

Ronald Reagan was a good president, and certainly a lot better than FDR. Why don't I hear you guys praising Reagan? If as you say ABL, FDR's policies worked back then because the times were different, why do you not praise Reagan? He was much more recent and as such his policies are more appropriate to consider today.

And stop hawking closed-mindedness. I bet you can't name one liberal broadcaster who isn't closed minded, Crinkle. Not one. Beck has to be closed minded because so many people are trying to hawk liberalism that there are but very few who are left to hawk conservatism. It's just that simple... I can't be open minded as per your definition because the only alternative is statism/liberalism, and that I can never accept. Beck at least shows why statism/liberalism/etc. are bad by pointing out places where they have been tried, tested, and failed, so he's open minded in that regard.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 4/28/2010, 13:56

Beck is evidently conservative, but he isn't twisting facts and calling Tea rallies violent and hateful... Rolling Eyes
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/28/2010, 23:37

Actually 80-0 you bring up a good point, Reagan was also a good president, I just have not ever studied his administration very thoroughly and thus am not able to comment intelligently. Laughing

@Joe: See what I mean? He twists facts and contorts information. Although I would agree that certain elements of the Tea Party movement have potential to become violent, most of them appear to be simply people who are rallying voters through social means. Which I think is perfectly fine, perhaps they could even help turn the Republican Party around. (Sorry for the radical change of view, but I've been studying the Tea Party intently, and it does appear that their weirdo faction, while present, is much smaller then the media seems to advertize)

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 4/29/2010, 09:28

Tell me Glenn Beck is bad after you watch these fresh pickings from the political landscape:

Yes.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 4/29/2010, 14:08

astoriabluelegos wrote:@Joe: See what I mean? He twists facts and contorts information. Although I would agree that certain elements of the Tea Party movement have potential to become violent, most of them appear to be simply people who are rallying voters through social means. Which I think is perfectly fine, perhaps they could even help turn the Republican Party around. (Sorry for the radical change of view, but I've been studying the Tea Party intently, and it does appear that their weirdo faction, while present, is much smaller then the media seems to advertize)

Read again, ABL... I said that he DOESN'T twist facts... Wink

He points out the facts that the media twists.

Great vids, 80-0, it really shows that Glenn Beck is a shining star. Very Happy
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/29/2010, 17:18

I would argue that he is NOT a shining star, far from it actually. tongue And yes 80-0, there are bigots and fools on both sides of the aisle. Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 4/29/2010, 17:58

Of course you would... But no one will listen! Razz Laughing
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 4/29/2010, 18:15

You are way too obsessed with Glenn Beck's ideas and himself he's not all that great. First of all he's human no human is over another. I don't see why you see him as so wise. The only wise one was Jesus.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/29/2010, 22:29

Yeah he's just a fool, who twists facts and spits lies. Just like those other guys do... I dislike almost all political commentaries.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 4/30/2010, 10:24

We're not obsessed with him, we are merely responding with similar obsession to you all who were up and showing us how wrong he was. Wink

Though your points about human weakness make me recall the Apostles... "Lord, to whom shall we go?" We can absolutely pray and trust in God in that regard, but we can absolutely not become a social recluse and refuse to acknowledge someone's success or failure if it hits us in the face. You can't say that no one is better than someone else PERIOD. No person is, as a right, better than someone else, but still, we can't just have an "everybody is a winner" ideal where no one is better and no one loses... that's simply not realistic. We already accept the idea that we Christians are the ones who are right

astoriabluelegos wrote:I would argue that he is NOT a shining star, far from it actually. tongue And yes 80-0, there are bigots and fools on both sides of the aisle. Razz

Yes ABL, the only problem is, guys like Ed Schultz and Keith Olbermann tend to represent the left, because anyone who is on the left and looks for someone who is voicing their views only runs into them, and as such is more than likely to be driven away from them. Beck at least makes a common sense argument about things. These other guys, they just yell and insult people who disagree with them... Does Beck have a "Worst Person in the World" segment on his show? No, nor does any other show on Fox, sans O'Reilly, who's a semi-conservative version of Olbermann on his bad days and a semi-conservative Chris Matthews on his good days (his shows' better days are when Laura Ingraham fills in for him, but that's aside the point).

The thing is, we don't need to be praising FDR, nor do we need to be worshiping him. If as you say the political landscape he ran in was different than the landscape we encounter today, obviously Beck is wrong about comparing him then to Obama now, and similarly, we must not look at his policies as the greatest thing since sliced bread and applicable today. Of course at the same time we should not dismiss him as evil, but must not turn to him as a reference for today's politics.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/30/2010, 13:58

FDR evil? Razz But yeah you're right, we can't compare them because as you said, the situations are entirely different. As with anything, context is paramount. That's true, a "worst person" is rather rediculous if you ask me. I think that anyone who seriously follows these people, really needs to take whatever they're saying a grain of salt, because it's all about personal perspective.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 4/30/2010, 17:26

I like Bill O'Reilly's "Pinheads and Patriots" segment. Great humor! Laughing
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/1/2010, 21:01

I have heard some O'Reilly, I actually sorta like him, he is very funny. Smile

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 5/1/2010, 23:13

Yea, him and Beck get along real well, too.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/2/2010, 11:56

Way to ruin it Joe, looks like I'll have to stop listening to O'Reilly now..... Razz Not that I listen to him that much to begin with. Laughing

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 5/2/2010, 15:02

I challenge Beck to a musket pistol duel.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/2/2010, 23:34

That would be funny! Laughing

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 5/3/2010, 06:58

He would win. One of his hobbies is going out on the shooting range... LOL

I don't understand why you hate him, ABL. He makes references to Star Wars sometimes... Razz
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/3/2010, 12:34

Wait.......REALLY??! Shocked

Link, or it didn't happen. Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 5/3/2010, 13:06

This wasn't on his show, but...

Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 5/3/2010, 17:47

astoriabluelegos wrote:Way to ruin it Joe, looks like I'll have to stop listening to O'Reilly now..... Razz Not that I listen to him that much to begin with. Laughing

Well now you're just letting prejudice control your life... Rolling Eyes

@ Joe: Forest = AlGore... But Tom Daschle = Boba Fett and McLame = LandoCal? IDK about that.

Cheney definitely = Yoda x10000000.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/4/2010, 00:45

I was only kidding 80-0. Laughing I don't listen to O'Reilly or ANY political comentator on a regular basis, I just have heard him occasionally in the past when I was with friends that like him.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 5/4/2010, 15:42

oic
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down