Dissent and Infighting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dissent and Infighting

Post  0001 on 4/27/2010, 22:47

You know thinking about the discussions going on around the forums latetly, and how heated some of them have become, it's really got me pondering Christian unity. Now I must first lay down this disclaimer, this doesn't so much apply to us here. I knew from the get go that having a forum devoted pretty much entirely to heated issues such as Faith, politics, etc... that various opinions and points of view would be argued and ridiculed here. I am actually pleasently surprised at the level of maturity in oure members here. It seems that we are capable of arguing often times very different views without taking the jabs and stabs personally. That is very unique, the fact we can fight it out so to speak, and still remain good friends is astounding, and I'd like to thank everyone for the level of maturity found here.

That being said, I still feel like we're being used. I've been sort of studying the Devil and his powers lately, and have found that he is a notorious trickster, and tends to work in very subtle means, dissent is one of his strong point since unity against him is his undoing. also I listened to a Bible blurb on Air 1 the other day that sort of helped me along this thought line as well. It talked about how Christians these days tend to get so cought up in the specifics and opinions, and theories involved in the faith that we kind of miss the bigger picture. Christians often get into heated arguments about things that really are quite silly in retrospect. And whats worse is these things can work to destroy our unity. Rather then focusing so much on why or how something happened, or specific areas of belief or faith, isn't the important thing the same unified goals all Christians share?

We all believe in God, and that Jesus died for us, and that we should try to live to be the best Christians we can possbily be. Other then these things, isn't everything else sort of just extra? I think we often times get so cought up in deffending our own specific views that we lose sight of the bigger picture. The disciples did the same thing when they argued about which one had Jesus' favor. We must remember that all things in life are relative, they are all open to personal interpreation and all the bais associated with that. The only true factor is God. I have discovered that when you truly hand your life over to God, you just sort of naturally gravitate towards certain truths about tough questions and situations. I'm not really trying to prove a point, or even suggest an idea, but rather aknowledge this interesting detail. What do you guys think?

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Dissent and Infighting

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 4/28/2010, 12:51

I don't think we're being used, but then the only discussion I'm really active in is the YEC one, which has been pretty much mostly you and 80-0 vs me. Is the politics thing getting heated or something?

Anyways, when on the internet, you have to remember that, like the message on your cars' side-view mirror, emotions on forums are not as strong as they appear. People type things and just send them, without thinking, because a text medium isn't the same as actually talking to a person.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/28/2010, 12:54

Very true. I was more refering to Christianity in general, and how groups are split and up in arms over minor little details that they seem to not be able to come to an agreement on.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 4/28/2010, 13:14

Ah. Well, that's true. Heck, that's why we have so many different denominations today, instead of just Christian churches.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/28/2010, 23:22

That is exactly what I'm talking about! And usually the dividing lines are over silly little details.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 4/29/2010, 18:10

Well we like each other more than our own views.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/29/2010, 22:38

Yeah that is very true.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 4/30/2010, 10:26

It's all about "I want I want I want". Back in the day of the Roman empire, when Catholicism was at its peak (yes, I'm sorry to say this, but Jesus Christ was a Catholic Razz ), thousands of people were martyred for their faith by the pagans who wanted everything to be exactly the way they wanted it to be. Their pagan religion, too, was exactly the way they wanted it to be. If the royalty wants a god who permits this, the priests magically make that god appear and be worshipped... and on and on and on.

It's sorta the same with denominations. "I want this sacrament... I don't want that sacrament... I want to do this... I don't want to do that..." All of them branched off from Catholicism; they all took the one part of Catholicism that they WANTED and left behind what they did not WANT. Indeed, parts of the Catholic Church were corrupt; the point is, divide and conquer, and that's exactly what happened. The devil saw the fighting within the Church, and lo and behold, all these sects appeared with these so-called intellectuals "enlightening" the world as to what we "missed" in the Bible, and revealing hidden pages and so forth as "proof" of their new belief system.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 4/30/2010, 13:52

Wait, hidden pages? I'm not familier with that. Shocked I would argue about Jesus being Catholic, the church wasn't around then. Laughing

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 4/30/2010, 19:11

astoriabluelegos wrote:Wait, hidden pages? I'm not familier with that. Shocked I would argue about Jesus being Catholic, the church wasn't around then. Laughing

Then I guess Jesus meant something else when he gave all the Catholic principles that I believe in today to the Apostles... Razz
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 5/1/2010, 17:43

Okay, I'll just sit there quiet when someone is comparing the Tea Party to the Jihad. Rolling Eyes
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/1/2010, 20:57

@ 80-0: That's true, fair enough. Razz

@ Joe: SOME elements of the Tea Party ARE like that. But this isn't the area to discuss that. I meant the divisions between geoups of Christians.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 5/2/2010, 14:59

Jesus was not really Catholic but Jewish as he believed in God and he hadn't died yet. One more thing he celebrated passover so there's another clue that yes he was Jewish.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/2/2010, 23:33

Ah that's true, because HE was the second covenant, so technically they were still under the first, thus he was Jewish.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 5/3/2010, 16:38

If you think about it, Christianity is a sect of Judaism.

I don't think Jesus was Catholic, since I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church started with Saint Peter.
Does one capitalize the C in Church?

Anyway, when the Catholic Church started, there were lots of sects and variants of Christianity, just as there are today. I wouldn't say the different branches are the devil's doing. They promote different viewpoints, and in turn healthy discussion and debate. Just so long as we don't let ourselves get upset in the discussions.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 5/3/2010, 18:00

astoriabluelegos wrote:@ 80-0: That's true, fair enough. Razz

@ Joe: SOME elements of the Tea Party ARE like that. But this isn't the area to discuss that. I meant the divisions between geoups of Christians.

No, some elements of the Tea Party are NOT like that. I dare you to show me the proof... in another thread... but please, please stop following this delusion! No one is acting in a way similar, vaguely or distinctly, like Jihadist terrorists.

@ Egg: When the Catholic Church started, according to the Bible, Jesus appeared on the roof of a building and essentially gave St. Peter, as you say, the rundown of what's in and what's out. Just one example of the laying away of old principles is that He told him that they no longer had to abstain from eating pork.

So when it started, there was Judaism which survived in the minds of those who refused to follow Christ, and all way of paganism. If there were sects and variants of Christianity they must have been terribly small. My reasoning by this is that the amount of people who accepted the direct teachings of Christ and the Apostles would likely not lose very many people to any false prophets along the way who might say "Hey guess what, I know this that and the other thing that they don't know, so come follow me!" because they already have seen the works of the Apostles (yes, the Apostles worked miracles after Jesus' death on the Cross; not they themselves through their own power of course, but God's power in them) and are too closely subscribed to Christianity as the Apostles proclaimed it. Sects of Judaism would be a likely case, but it is still unlikely that members of Judaism itself would leave Judaism and join a variant of what they no doubt considered to be a sect of Judaism when they already rejected Christianity at its basest form?

I just don't think there were very many Christian philosophers who would be making these big theological and philosophical discoveries and creating sects and whatnot back then. Remember, Rome was still in power, and the only philosophers back then, alas, were Roman, and as such, pagan. Sure, they did good work, Aristotle, Plato, Socrates (morons!), and there's a case to be made that they were influenced by the Holy Spirit to write what they wrote which we as Christians can agree with today, but they weren't the type to make sects and follow their own star, as it were.

@ Crinkle: Right, but AFTER his death, he was a Catholic, because that was when he told the Apostles what's what. He had to be Jewish during his lifetime, because the only people he could preach to were the Jews because, as aforesaid, Rome was in power, and as such he had to become one with them. He wasn't accepting their principles, nor was he saying they were wrong. He was telling them what was right.

I don't want to be one to make judgments about if Jews today are right or wrong in their beliefs because that's not my place, but I will say that considering the message Jesus had for the Jews, it's a fair guess that he wasn't entirely one of them.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/4/2010, 00:37

Yeah I would agree he was sort of a hybrid, because he was essentually the living rule change. Laughing

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum