Atheism

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Atheism

Post  0001 on 6/23/2010, 22:38

So awhile ago another Commander and myself were talking about God and such, after we had a long discussion about faith with one of our atheist friends. And basically we came the conclusion that we couldn't honestly imagine a life without God, I mean, just think about how empty and purposeless that would be. So I thought it might be interesting to discuss atheism here on the forums, such as why people believe that, and how they generalize/marginalize things in order to cover up God's existence.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  Jedi Joe on 6/23/2010, 22:49

I think people can be turned off because of some of the whack pastors who yell things such as, "WELL IF YOU DON'T SUBMIT TO JESUS CHRIST YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR, YOU'RE GOIN' TO HELL!!!" I think that would turn me off if I was an outsider looking into Christianity. Luckily I was raised Christian and know about it, and can tell that those people are mindless idiots accomplishing nothing.

I also think that the Answers In Genesis folk are making Christians look bad by basically rejecting modern science because of a few Bible verses. I mean, that is one of the reasons why I left the Young-Earth belief, is because it was making me spiritually unsound. I was more focused on "YOU'RE ALL WRONG!!! LOOK, MY BIBLE TELLS ME EVERYTHING!!! I DON'T NEED CARBON DATING!!!" instead of Jesus. (Although I still like to stir up controversy, just in a more intelligent way... Wink )
avatar
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
Location : Florida
Posts : 717
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 6/23/2010, 22:57

Haha true Joe, but on the other token we don't want to push something if it causes others to faulter in the Faith. Becauase at the end of the day, we can argue and bicker all we want, but only God knows what really happened. I find a lot of solace in that statment Wink

Yeah, the whole hellfire and brimstone way of preaching is a major turnoff to the faith, I think faith needs to be more defined by principled acts, and not so much preaching. That way people see that we are genuine in what we do. Alreayd whenever there are great disasters, who responds? Christians do. I mean according to atheism, why look out for your fellow man? Because it doesn't benefit you, and atheism is all about self satisfaction, which is why it's so popular.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  Jedi Joe on 6/23/2010, 23:01

Yea, it just seems that Christianity, as a peaceful Faith, is being presented as a radical anti-science ritualistic culture. It scares me sometimes, it really does. Neutral
avatar
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
Location : Florida
Posts : 717
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 6/23/2010, 23:04

Yes indeed, when honestly it's not. But of course you know the Devil will overplay those smaller radical elements in order to downplay the entire faith. As was done with the Tea Party I later found out. It's an effective way to disgrace something that you deem as a threat. And in truth, sure the radical Christian do exist, but they arn't truly following Christian principles, and thusly cannot properly portray the faith.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  Jedi Joe on 6/23/2010, 23:11

True, true. Which is why I really like Kenneth Copeland. When other people are saying "LAST DAYS!!! REPENT, DOOMSDAY IS COMING!", he says "You don't know when Jesus is coming back. He could come in 10 minutes, or he could come in 10,000 years! Only God knows when! Expect to live a full life, and don't put fear of the end in you." he also reminds us to keep healthy, and he has positive messages. We need more Kenneth Copelands as representatives of Christianity. Smile
avatar
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
Location : Florida
Posts : 717
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 6/23/2010, 23:13

Now he sounds like the type of guy I can relate to, because that's how I view it as well. More moderate and from a sensible approach. I have not heard of him before, but he sounds very interesting. Smile

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 6/24/2010, 09:05

Atheism is just a state of denial of there being a higher being or God himself. REPENT ATHEISTS OR I GET THE BIBLE CANNON!!!!!! So Atheism=ultimate fail.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 6/24/2010, 22:38

Yeah, I mean I just don't get how they can generalize God out of everything, I mean are you people blind or what? scratch

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  SirGambleo on 7/20/2010, 02:21

astoriabluelegos wrote: Yeah, the whole hellfire and brimstone way of preaching is a major turnoff to the faith, I think faith needs to be more defined by principled acts, and not so much preaching. That way people see that we are genuine in what we do. Alreayd whenever there are great disasters, who responds? Christians do. I mean according to atheism, why look out for your fellow man? Because it doesn't benefit you, and atheism is all about self satisfaction, which is why it's so popular.

I hate to be the devils advocate, (seeing that I'm Christian Laughing) but the Peace Corps and Green Peace are not Christian oriented. Although I'm sure there are alot of Christians in both. My point is that there are Atheists who are very nice and kind in a genuine manner, I am friends with a few of them. Some Atheists have guilt along with the satisfying feeling of helping someone, they are not all heartless. Why do you think that is? (Just keeping up the discussion) Wink
(I'll tell you what I think after you guys) Smile

SirGambleo
Law Breaker

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 186
Sector 2

Civilian Ops

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 7/20/2010, 21:42

Oh yes, there are indeed some atheists who are very kind individuals. However what bothers me is they are nice, but don't really have a reason to be. Other then that lovely warm feeling that results from service.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 9/17/2010, 15:26

What's wrong with the warm fuzzy feeling? It's the same warm fuzzy feeling you feel when you're serving God, right?
Nice atheists are nice because they want to be, and Christians serve God because they want to. In both cases, they are just doing what they want. Essentially everything boils down to "Do what you want to".
avatar
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 456
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  SirGambleo on 9/19/2010, 01:25

astoriabluelegos wrote: Oh yes, there are indeed some atheists who are very kind individuals. However what bothers me is they are nice, but don't really have a reason to be. Other then that lovely warm feeling that results from service.

I think the Holy Spirit is in all of us. Even the Atheists that ignore or despise God. In essence, Holy Spirit=Conscience.

SirGambleo
Law Breaker

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 186
Sector 2

Civilian Ops

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 9/19/2010, 16:58

Yes the Holy Spirit is.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 1219
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  80-0 on 9/21/2010, 06:55

Sgt Angry Egg wrote:What's wrong with the warm fuzzy feeling? It's the same warm fuzzy feeling you feel when you're serving God, right?
Nice atheists are nice because they want to be, and Christians serve God because they want to. In both cases, they are just doing what they want. Essentially everything boils down to "Do what you want to".

I actually don't think Christians serve God because they want to. I think we serve God because it is what we are called to do as Christians, to know, love, and serve God in this world, am I right? Neutral

I think saying that it boils down to doing what you want makes it seem to focus too much on US and not enough on God. I hope Christians serve God because they love God, who, after all, created them. I hope Christians serve God because they know God, and they know and have accepted all that there is to know about God. Not just serve God because they want to.

That's just my opinion.

In terms of atheists, look, no one of us believes that only Christians are capable of niceness. Razz

The sad truth is, though, the reverse of that, that non-Christians are more likely to go the not-nice route.
avatar
80-0

None
Location : Cold and snowy New York, as always.
Posts : 470
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 9/23/2010, 17:39

Yes 80-0 I agree as well, that is the point of view I hold. @Gambleo: Indeed, I believe it is in all of us we just choose to listen to it. @Egg: Yeah, the good 'ol warm and fuzzy feeling. Razz

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 9/29/2010, 16:24

80-0 wrote:I actually don't think Christians serve God because they want to. I think we serve God because it is what we are called to do as Christians, to know, love, and serve God in this world, am I right? Neutral
Doesn't being called to do something make you want to do it? I would say so. Loving God would also make you want to serve him.

80-0 wrote:
I think saying that it boils down to doing what you want makes it seem to focus too much on US and not enough on God. I hope Christians serve God because they love God, who, after all, created them. I hope Christians serve God because they know God, and they know and have accepted all that there is to know about God. Not just serve God because they want to.
What you're saying here is "Your statement about the actions of humans focuses too much on the humans." My statement is neutral to God. I am merely pointing out that everyone who has ever performed some action has done so because they wanted to for one reason or another. Of course Christians serve God out of love. That love is what makes them want to serve him!

80-0 wrote:
That's just my opinion.

In terms of atheists, look, no one of us believes that only Christians are capable of niceness. Razz

The sad truth is, though, the reverse of that, that non-Christians are more likely to go the not-nice route.
Meh, I would say the nice to not-nice ratio stays about the same throughout the population. There are mean Christians, mean atheists, and even mean Buddhists.
avatar
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 456
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 9/29/2010, 21:11

@ Egg: True true, I think you both have pretty good points. That bit about mean Buddhists made me Laughing.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  80-0 on 9/30/2010, 12:00

Sgt Angry Egg wrote:Doesn't being called to do something make you want to do it? I would say so. Loving God would also make you want to serve him.

Yes, I thought I said just that. Razz

What you're saying here is "Your statement about the actions of humans focuses too much on the humans." My statement is neutral to God. I am merely pointing out that everyone who has ever performed some action has done so because they wanted to for one reason or another. Of course Christians serve God out of love. That love is what makes them want to serve him!

Ok, St. Therese of Lisieux, a Catholic Saint (onoes), practiced and defined what she called "The Little Way", in which everything she did, she did it for God. You see, if you find God in everything you do, you must not be doing very much wrong. Yes, some things are so mundane you may think you'd never be able to claim to do them for God's sake, but really, how many things do you do that are so small or seemingly insignificant and yet are perfectly harmless? Therese said:

"Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love.

Sometimes, when I read spiritual treatises in which perfection is shown with a thousand obstacles, surrounded by a crowd of illusions, my poor little mind quickly tires. I close the learned book which is breaking my head and drying up my heart, and I take up Holy Scripture. Then all seems luminous to me; a single word uncovers for my soul infinite horizons; perfection seems simple; I see that it is enough to recognize one's nothingness and to abandon oneself, like a child, into God's arms. Leaving to great souls, to great minds, the beautiful books I cannot understand, I rejoice to be little because 'only children, and those who are like them, will be admitted to the heavenly banquet'.

For me, prayer is a movement of the heart; it is a simple glance toward Heaven; it is a cry of gratitude and love in times of trial as well as in times of joy; finally, it is something great, supernatural, which expands my soul and unites me to Jesus. . . . I have not the courage to look through books for beautiful prayers.... I do like a child who does not know how to read; I say very simply to God what I want to say, and He always understands me."


Meh, I would say the nice to not-nice ratio stays about the same throughout the population. There are mean Christians, mean atheists, and even mean Buddhists.

Mean Christians aren't Christians. It's that simple. You are not going to commit murder if you are a Christian. If you call yourself a Christian and you do so, you are lying to yourself. I hold Christians to a standard, the same standard to which I hold myself. I don't go around saying "hey you're not a Christian" and all, mote beam all the way! But when someone is so blatantly non-Christian, I refuse to acknowledge them as Christian.

Yes, I once again prove that I am a horrible person.
avatar
80-0

None
Location : Cold and snowy New York, as always.
Posts : 470
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 9/30/2010, 15:06

I more or less agree with what you're saying 80-0, or at least the ideas behind it. I too hold Christians to a fault. Although I understand that people are not perfect, including Christians, I very powerfully believe that if we are committed to God we can at least limit the goof-ups to a degree, and at least acknowledge them and ask for forgiveness when they do occur.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  80-0 on 10/2/2010, 06:32

Oh, that's all fine and dandy but I'm just saying when there's a person who doesn't even try to change his life so that he doesn't commit that 'chronic sin' as it were, I don't think he's doing it right.
avatar
80-0

None
Location : Cold and snowy New York, as always.
Posts : 470
None


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 10/3/2010, 11:34

Correct, if someone sins, and keeps on sinning even though they know it's wrong, then they are fools.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 2/19/2011, 21:23

Once again, I bring another thread the way of Lazarus, in all it's smelly, slightly rotten, musty, moldy glory.

So, what's our verdict on athiests?
avatar
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Location : Sector 2
Posts : 456
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  0001 on 2/22/2011, 18:03

You know, I think we got so off topic, I don't even remember. lol I think what we need to do is tolerate them, and subtly nudge them toward the direction of Truth.

_________________
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
avatar
0001
Executive Director

Executive Director
Location : Junction City, Oregon
Posts : 4032
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheism

Post  80-0 on 2/26/2011, 06:07

Right, the problem is we need to distinguish between agnostic atheists and regular atheists. The agnostics are those who have rejected religion and faith and thus are only good for having long debates into the wee hours of the night. The regular atheists are those who likely never grew up in religion and have never been exposed to it. The latter are, of course, our target.
avatar
80-0

None
Location : Cold and snowy New York, as always.
Posts : 470
None


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum