Life beyond our world

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Life beyond our world

Post  0001 on 7/12/2010, 23:37

So, do you think there is a possibility that there is life in the universe other then what can be found on Earth?

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Life beyond our world

Post  Jedi Joe on 7/13/2010, 06:13

I believe so.

There are around 200 billion stars in our galaxy alone, most of which have planets of their own, and there are 100 billion GALAXIES in the known universe. That seems like an awfully big place just for puny Earth...

Besides, we may find life on Jupiter's moon, Europa. Scientists believe Europa has a huge underground ocean under its crust, which is mostly ice. And judging by Earth's history, life was first bacterium in the ocean. So it's very possible that life can thrive under the mysterious moon. And if life could develop in two very different parts of our own solar system, why can't it develope in other solar systems?
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 7/13/2010, 09:53

There probably is life in other places but what we mostly know about is bacteria.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 7/13/2010, 16:14

I share much the same opinion as you do Joe and Crinkle, that there probably is life out there, but morel ikely it will be simple things, like bacteria, possibley plants, and perhaps simple animals. I guess there is a chance there could be more advanced life out there, but so far the universe seems like a very nasty place.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 7/13/2010, 16:44

Actually, ABL, the Sun, as a white star, is one of the more nastier stars. It will eventually become a red giant in 5 billion years, and Earth will burn up with all the life on it. It also emits a lot of ultraviolet radiation, which isn't forgiving on living tissue. I believe life would be more prosperous around a red dwarf star, which are very "energy efficient". They are projected to have a lifespan of over a whopping TRILLION years, and emit barely any UV light. The only downfall is that they are small, and any planet in the habitable zone would be tidally locked because it is so close. But a moon orbiting a large planet could counter this. Another thing, red dwarfs make up 80% of the stars in our galaxy, so it's very possible there could be many worlds around these stars.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 7/14/2010, 23:12

Crinkle, ABL, I'm afraid we're all godless secularists because we believe alien life could exist:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/tba/bible-and-modern-astronomy-2

I'm sorry, but I couldn't keep a straight face reading that article... Laughing
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 7/15/2010, 14:56

That guy doesn't consider that man wrote all the scriptures and there could be inaccurate parts as humans could miss detail and we could not easily comprehend the whole Creation so really there could be life out there.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 7/15/2010, 17:14

Yea, or we could accept the fact that the Bible was made for humans, and thus is biased towards the Earth... I mean, the Bible never told us that there were other planets in the Solar System, or that the Earth was round, but now we know those are true.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 7/17/2010, 20:40

Yeah....but lets not get that arguement going again. Laughing Anyways, yes because of what you've been saying I've looked into Red Dwarfs more of late, and indeed you are correct. But until we find something, we won't know for sure. Heck, I'd be happy with an alien fitoplankton or single cell organism. Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 7/18/2010, 18:46

If there is sentient life out there, wouldn't God need to have another Savior sent among them so they don't just live sinfully?

That's a scary thought.

What if there are hundreds of earths just like this one, and Jesus went to every one, and the world is going differently on each earth, with different shaped and named countries, and whatnot?

That is a VERY scary thought.

I absolutely don't believe it's possible though, but if it were I think we should not concern ourselves with them.

The reason I think it's not possible is because I just don't see God creating multiple planets and multiple solar systems in multiple different dimensions. That's just above and beyond what I feel I am entitled to consider as existing out there, and I think we should just remain concerned with our own planet.

There's enough trouble here that whatever problems are on whatever other planets, I'm sure God's watching over them.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 7/18/2010, 18:52

Why can't life be out there, 80-0? There are 200 billion stars in our galaxy alone. Even if sentient life-forms were one in a million, there would be 2,000 earths in the galaxy. One in a billion would still avail 200 earths... JUST IN THE MILKY WAY

I hope we do find microbial life on Jupiter's moon, Europa. That would greatly increase the chances of life in the universe. If life originated on two celestial bodies in just our solar system, God may have flooded the Universe with life.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 7/18/2010, 19:10

How do we know there are 200 billion stars?

Who took the time to count them all?

I certainly hope that illustrious duty wasn't left in the hands of a machine.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 7/18/2010, 19:14

It's called math. They found out how many stars were in a given area of space, and then find out how much space is in the galaxy, and then they use basic math to get an estimate. We, by no means, have charted every star in the galaxy. One reason is we can't see behind that danged galactic core. Razz
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 7/18/2010, 23:47

Yeah it's a rough average, but it's fairly accurate. I think it could happen, but as you say it does rattle the mind 80-0. And if they are out there, I'm sure God is indeed watching over them, and you are correct we need not be concerned about them, it's just fun to think about it. And even though it's tough to wrap the mind around, there are no less then 12 dimensions of reality, each with it's own characteristics, we live in 4 of them. So who knows what could be out there? Whatever it is or isn't, it all fits into God's plan somehow.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 7/19/2010, 07:39

Jedi Joe wrote:It's called math. They found out how many stars were in a given area of space, and then find out how much space is in the galaxy, and then they use basic math to get an estimate. We, by no means, have charted every star in the galaxy. One reason is we can't see behind that danged galactic core. Razz

Oh I see. It's an estimate, though. Who's to say we aren't all getting duped, and that there are either many more or many fewer stars than the estimate?

Ah but that's the curse of estimation.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 7/19/2010, 23:38

Yep, but who's going to spend their lifetime(s) counting all those little pinpricks of light? Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 7/20/2010, 00:58

The same person who claims that an estimate is a reason for the rest of us to change our style of living, because life might be out there. Razz
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 7/20/2010, 21:48

Ah yes, dreaming, and baseing our entire existence on it, are two entirely different things indeed. Laughing

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 9/29/2010, 20:51

Gliese 581 is the planetary system that keeps on giving.

Scientists have discovered a new planet in the habitable zone of this star, and it goes simply as Gliese 581g. It is 3x the mass of Earth, so it is one of the smallest exoplanets we have found. What is so interesting about this, is that this is the SIXTH planet we've found in that star system. And out of the previous five we've found, two of them are in the habitable zone (Gliese 581c and d, respectively). This is the THIRD habitable exoplanet in one system! Keep in mind, Gliese 581 is only 20 lightyears away from the solar system, and we've already found 3 planets orbiting that could possibly support life!

What could this mean for the chances of life in the Universe? Well, in a 20-lightyear distance, there are two systems that have habitable planets. Even if none of the big three of Gliese 581 don't have life, it's still a pretty big universe. Also remember that we can only find planets around these stars if they are positioned just right, so that eliminates a fair amount of stars for us to research. The more and more we look, the great chances there are that God filled the Universe with life and that we are by no means alone.

More detailed article about Gliese 581g here.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/29/2010, 21:18

Nice! That is awesome! I know ho much of a fan of the Gliese 581 you are. Sure would be cool if they could detect some life, even if it was only some bacteria or single celled organism.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 9/29/2010, 21:19

Yea, we gotta invent some kind of hyperdrive before we can do that... Laughing
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/29/2010, 21:21

Psh details details! Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 9/29/2010, 21:26

Yes, but if you haven't realized, details really help when doing scientific research... Wink

I'm wondering, if Gliese 581g really is a habitable world, would Gliese 581d be the big, Jupiter-esque planet that keeps the asteroids away? Much research will go into this system, especially after this discovery.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/29/2010, 22:06

It could be, or something else would have to serve that purpose or the planet would be constantly bombarded. Indeed, should be interesting to see what is discovered in the months to come.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  0027 on 11/28/2010, 19:00

When do you guys think we will actually be ale to travel in space at a decent enough speed to make space travel to other planets or parts of space plausible??
Joint Chief of Staff

Director
Sector 2

Civilian Ops

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top