How is communion administered at your church?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How is communion administered at your church?

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 7/20/2010, 12:00

At my church anyone, even non-members, may take communion as long as they believe Jesus is their personal Lord and Savior. Also communion does not have to passed out by a clergy. We pass trays with bread and grape juice for traditional service and we dip bread in grape juice for non-traditional. An elder tells a simple story to relate to the communion then reads the words of institution. I have done the story and words of institution but never fully instituted communion myself.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Re: How is communion administered at your church?

Post  0001 on 7/20/2010, 21:46

Yep, so how does everyone else experience communion?

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 7/20/2010, 22:43

We get an oyster cracker and a tiny cup of grape juice. The pastor says a prayer and we eat the body and blood.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 7/20/2010, 23:24

Sounds very similar to us. Smile

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 7/21/2010, 05:57

Consecrated hosts!

Yes, everyone processes to the foot of the altar where they kneel at the communion rail (that's right, the same communion rails that have been used for hundreds of years and years and years) and receive the Eucharist.

I don't get why both species are required for you guys, though, isn't one enough?

And what sort of consecration prayers are said over the bread and (eww, this seems so wrong) grape juice?
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 7/21/2010, 22:37

Pastor basically just explains the significance of the bread and "wine". No memorized prayers. Smile
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 7/22/2010, 22:40

Yep, same here. Smile

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 7/26/2010, 05:55

It all sounds so boring.

I thought church isn't supposed to be boring. Razz
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0010 on 8/3/2010, 17:41

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:At my church anyone, even non-members, may take communion as long as they believe Jesus is their personal Lord and Savior. Also communion does not have to passed out by a clergy. We pass trays with bread and grape juice for traditional service and we dip bread in grape juice for non-traditional. An elder tells a simple story to relate to the communion then reads the words of institution. I have done the story and words of institution but never fully instituted communion myself.

Pretty much the same except we always do the "traditional" service and we have unleavened crackers instead of bread; We also pray before eating the bread and dirking the grape juice. Non-members can take communion but at my church we believe that you must be baptized before doing so but idk why
The Cleric

D1 Standard
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 8/4/2010, 06:50

Choppedliver wrote:
Cpt. Crinkle wrote:At my church anyone, even non-members, may take communion as long as they believe Jesus is their personal Lord and Savior. Also communion does not have to passed out by a clergy. We pass trays with bread and grape juice for traditional service and we dip bread in grape juice for non-traditional. An elder tells a simple story to relate to the communion then reads the words of institution. I have done the story and words of institution but never fully instituted communion myself.

Pretty much the same except we always do the "traditional" service and we have unleavened crackers instead of bread; We also pray before eating the bread and dirking the grape juice. Non-members can take communion but at my church we believe that you must be baptized before doing so but idk why

Gee idk, maybe because you're putting the consecrated body and blood of your Lord and Savior into your body? Maybe, just maybe God wants the sole manifestation of his body and blood on this earth to be given to the people who are a member of his church?

The Eucharist is a gift for those who are a member of God's church, a way for them to know and love God better. What good would it do to non-baptized non-Christians? It's God's gift to US.

Sure, this sounds selfish and self-righteous, but come on, you have to come to a point where you can say "I'm right and you're wrong because Jesus Christ said so, and if he said so, it has to be true". Christ died that ALL mankind might come to him and experience his redeeming love. Baptism is truly for everyone, but the Eucharist is truly for the baptized.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0010 on 8/4/2010, 08:25

80-0 wrote:
Choppedliver wrote:

Gee idk, maybe because you're putting the consecrated body and blood of your Lord and Savior into your body? Maybe, just maybe God wants the sole manifestation of his body and blood on this earth to be given to the people who are a member of his church?

The Eucharist is a gift for those who are a member of God's church, a way for them to know and love God better. What good would it do to non-baptized non-Christians? It's God's gift to US.

Sure, this sounds selfish and self-righteous, but come on, you have to come to a point where you can say "I'm right and you're wrong because Jesus Christ said so, and if he said so, it has to be true". Christ died that ALL mankind might come to him and experience his redeeming love. Baptism is truly for everyone, but the Eucharist is truly for the baptized.

yeayea I understand that you have to be part of God's family to but getting baptized doesn't save you and it doesn't make you a part of Gods family buuuut if you're save you may partake in comnunion even if youre not a member if that soecific church.... Make sense?
The Cleric

D1 Standard
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 8/4/2010, 13:41

Well, I disagree with two things in your latest post.

For one, I think that as long as you live the Christian faith after your Baptism, you are indeed a part of God's special family destined for heaven. I think of Baptism as the first step into a larger world, and what you do afterward determines your fate.

Another way to see it is creating a clean slate, or cin vhetin (white field) in Mando'a. So this way, if you accept the truths of Christianity and promise to live the Christian faith, Baptism is sort of a welcome package from God that says "Since you accepted my truths, I will forgive the sins of your past life through Baptism. I still expect you to live a Christian life after Baptism, though!"

And about receiving communion in other churches, well, I'm a Catholic, and I disagree on strictly Catholic grounds, which means all of your heads and eyes will roll as you read this part of my post Razz but I think the priesthood of Christ was begun back with the Apostles, and the first Church to come around and have priests was the Catholic Church, and all the other Church's rejected the earthly authority of the Pope given to him by God through the succession of Saint Peter, and so once the sects started to appear in the Middle Ages, these priests and bishops rejected God's Church and started worshiping using their own rules, and the Church, with the same authority given to St. Peter and continuing through the ages with the papal succession, has declared that these priests are not legitimately ordained, and as such are not really consecrating the bread and wine and whatnot.

So that's my reason.

You can stop glaring angrily at me now. Razz
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 8/4/2010, 17:49

I have never been baptized, and most likely never will...
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 8/4/2010, 23:30

Good point there 80-0, it is very much like cin vhetin and I agree Baptism is very important. Because it is a physical representation of your commitment to Christ, God puts a lot of emphasis on how important being baptized is as it signals the start of your deeper relationship with Him.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 8/7/2010, 11:54

Jedi Joe wrote:I have never been baptized, and most likely never will...

I will hunt you down one day and baptize you. Razz
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 8/7/2010, 18:12

Photobucket is awesome look at the prettiness of it.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 8/8/2010, 16:25

It appears to be a meter.

Since when does Photobucket own forumotion.net? Or does it?
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 8/9/2010, 15:33

As far as I know it doesn't I'm not entirely sure why this happens or what the cause is.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top