How do we know?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do we know?

Post  0001 on 9/16/2010, 10:53

How do we know that what we are doing is what God wants us to do? I want to devote my life to serving God as any good Christian does. But how do you really know that what you're doing is what God wants you to do? I struggle with that sometimes. I'm trying to shape this organization and my life to follow what I think God wants me to do, but sometimes I'm uncertain if what I'm doing is what he wants me to do. My biggest fear is mistaking my own personal ambitions and ideals for what God is trying to tell me. So how do you guys think we know that what we're doing is what God wants us to do?

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: How do we know?

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 9/17/2010, 15:28

I hate to sound cliche here, but I guess the answer is "Keep on truckin'." I'm sure God will let you know if you veer too far off course, so in the meanwhile, just keep doing what you are doing.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/23/2010, 17:40

Thanks Egg, I kinda figured that was the way to go. Man, we miss seeing you at meetings these days. Smile

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  0010 on 9/23/2010, 22:14

Egg is pretty much right... also just make sure that you're fully dedicated to God and he will lead you Smile
The Cleric

D1 Standard
None

Free Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/23/2010, 22:58

True true, I guess we just have to trust that he will give us signs when he wants us know whats going on. Like any good Christian I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is the right thing, and that it's what God wants me to do. Otherwise there's no point in doing anything. God is all that really matters.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 9/24/2010, 08:09

I really think it's hard NOT to know. Everyone has a conscience. Some say it's a little voice inside your head, some say it's the angel on your right shoulder and the devil on your left, etc. etc., but no matter what, YOU know the difference between right and wrong. If you're doing what is right, and not what is wrong, and you still practice your faith and what not, there should be no worries in that regard.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/24/2010, 09:04

That is true, but what I was afraid of was the possibility of doing the right thing, for the wrong reasons. If you see what I'm saying.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 9/25/2010, 06:12

What sort of wrong reasons? You mean conceited reasons, or doing right just to show off as it were? What wrong reasons could there be for doing the right thing? scratch
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/25/2010, 16:06

Reasons that benefit yourself, rather then glorifying God. Such as when celebrities do humanitarian work, its not about the work, it's about bringing them good press, that's the wrong kind of reason I'm talking about.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 9/29/2010, 16:27

Well, in that case, only you can really know why you're doing what you're doing. Maybe a celebrity starts a charity out of sincerity. People might say he just does it for the press, but in the end there's no way to know why he did it without asking him.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  80-0 on 9/29/2010, 18:10

Those celebrities aren't doing a bad thing. They're just not gaining what benefits one might have gained doing it for the right reason.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 9/29/2010, 20:55

I think there are some celebs who donate to humanitarian causes just for press, but there are also those who give charity for genuine reasons. It's a little bit of both in our society.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/29/2010, 21:05

True, as with anything there are no absolutes. But I think I've got it figured out now. It's funny how God answers our questions.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 2/19/2011, 22:03

Funny ha-ha or funny interesting?
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/22/2011, 17:56

Sometimes it's both, mostly though it would be funny in an unexpected way.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 5/1/2011, 05:44

I think god's pretty consistently funny ha-ha. He does have kind of a sick sense of humor, though....
I mean, he made you. Seriously. That's just messed up. Very Happy
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 5/1/2011, 16:11

I love you too Egg. Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum