The Nature of God

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Nature of God

Post  0001 on 11/10/2011, 00:56

As many of you know science is a major hobby of mine, for me it explains aspects of God's wonderful creation. Theoretical astrophysics is especially of interest to me because it deals with the very heart of what our reality, our universe, is. I've long been following major theories that seek to explain how the universe functions. From Black Holes to String Theory it all is utterly fascinating to me, and reinforces my Christian faith. But now I have developed a theory myself (with the help of my dad) that explains could possibly explain the very nature of God Himself, or at least His existence, and possibly some of His powers that are evident in everyday life.

The Big Bang, a loooong time ago:
If you subscribe to the Big Bang Theory this will be of particular interest to you, if you don't that's fine but bear with me as the points I'm going to bring up are valid ones. So according to the theory the universe all started as one big blob of energy that suddenly exploded to create the universe we now have today. Now before I go any further we need to talk about black holes. Black holes are stars that became so dense (have so much mass in an area too small to contain it) that they collapse in on themselves. This process literally squeezes mass into a pinprick, creating such a gravity field that it creates a dent so deep in time space that not even light can escape the gravity well. Now let’s think about all the mass in the universe back during the big bang, think of how dense that would be. A black hole is just one star, how powerful would the gravity pull be with the entire universe's worth of stuff occupying the space of the period at the end of this sentence. Now with all that mass and the huge gravity well how would all of this go "Bang" all by itself? It can't, it's not scientifically possible. When explaining the theory scientists tend to gloss over the fact that the pull of all that mass in that small of a space would not allow for any sort of explosion that would be required to start the universe.

Now let’s jump to the present day, scientists have discovered some things about the aspects of the universe that are quite puzzling. First we tend to look at space as just that, empty space, but in fact it isn’t empty. If you took a ballerina and had her twirl in space with no other mass, centrifugal force would pull her arms out. But the question begs to be asked, if she is alone in empty space, what is she turning in relation to? Centrifugal force indicates that she is spinning but with no other frame of reference how could you even claim that she is spinning at all? As it turns out space isn’t empty, it’s made of particles of energy that constantly wink into and out of existence. This violates one of the cardinal laws of physics though, the one about how mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed, but we’ll get back to that later. Scientists have also discovered that the universe is speeding up after the big bang, not slowing down as once was thought. Think of your car, if you take your foot off the gas pedal it slows down as gravity overtakes it’s forward momentum. Logically that’s what the common thought was about the universe, that the gravitational pull would be slowing things down. But just the opposite is occurring. And finally we get to the really good part, if you add up all the matter and mass in the universe, you get roughly less than 30% of the total weight of the universe. So what makes up that other 70%? No one knows for sure, so they’ve dubbed it “Dark Matter” because it has properties of matter but doesn’t have any mass. (Scientists have found that dark matter exerts a gravitational effect on particles around it, such as light and mass). It is believed that this gravitational effect which appears to be pushing, rather than pulling, is the cause of the continued expansion of the universe. Now back to the empty space thing. Scientist proved that these particles exist by running a simple test. These particles bounce around and off one another during their short existences. So they theorized that if you put two metal plates very close together, then there should be more of these particles outside the plates than there are inside them. So much so that the particles outside may even be powerful enough to push the plates together. When they tried it they were astonished to discover that the plates were indeed pushed together. This discovery has launched a multi-million dollar endeavor to discover the nature of these particles, they’ve even built a testing facility deep underground in an old mine hoping to be able to catch more of these particles. (They have to work underground as the earth helps filter out all the other subatomic particles that we are constantly being bombarded with from space). Now finally I’d like to make one mention of something called the Nuclear Force, this is the actual energy that holds these subatomic particles together to create larger objects. This force is one of the most powerful in the universe and is not fully understood or explained. No one is really certain where or how this force comes about or why particles are able to be so attracted to one another. But we do know what happens when that bond gets broken, which is how nuclear weapons work.

Here is where we come to the controversial bit of my theory, and take it as you will it’s just a theory, an idea really, but to me it makes sense. We Christians know that all of reality is God’s creation, but we don’t really know exactly what God is. We tend to chock it up to the fact that we mere mortals cannot even comprehend his Majesty. Which may very well be the case. But what if God was energy, and a kind of energy that was conscious? There are many forces in the universe that science cannot explain, such as the tight bonds formed by subatomic particles, or the dark matter discussed earlier. And think of the big bang again, before it happened all that existed was energy. Energy is the ultimate building block in our universe, everything came from it, and ultimately returns to it. There is some evidence to back this up as well, in the Bible it says that God is timeless and that everything in creation comes from Him. Physics tells us that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, it’s always there. Before the universe was created there was no time or matter, only energy. If God is energy then everything literally came from Him. In the book of Revelation it describes God sitting on a throne of glass with lightning bolts coming off Him. So if God was a sort of conscious shape shifting all powerful energy being then science actually dictates the physics behind God’s power.

Now we need to introduce String Theory and why it is important. String theory was created in order to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity. The need to unify these two theories came about because when you apply the physics of quantum mechanics to large objects, such as stars, you get impossible results. And when you apply gravity to quantum mechanics the same thing results. But if quantum mechanics applies to everything, and general relativity applies to everything, well then you can’t have two everything’s. The problem really came into focus with black holes. Since the actual mass object is so small it is a subatomic particle, but it’s gravity field is so large it can only be explained by general relativity. String theory suggests that the entire universe is held together by subatomic bands of energy known as strings. How a string vibrates indicates how the particle it affects will behave. This helps to explain why the same basic building blocks can be combined to create such different things. The problem is there is no way outside of mathematics to prove the validity of string theory. The basic question is seeks to answer is, why do some particles behave this way in this instance, and then behave totally different in another instance, something has to be telling them what to do.

Now let’s talk about time. What is time exactly? Time is a rather interesting thing, it is affected by speed and only exists when there is a frame to reference it from. If there was no yesterday or tomorrow how would we gauge time? For a long time scientists have been trying to explain what time is, and why it tends to move in only one direction, forward. They finally came to the conclusion that the universe moves from order to disorder and cannot move backwards. Think about a book, the pages are all ordered, but if you tear them out and throw them in the air they land every which way. That is because things move towards disorder. Why do you ask? Because it all comes down to quantum mechanics and probability. The universe moves from order to disorder because there are more probable outcomes for disorder than there is for order. Think of a glass, there is only one outcome for how that glass can exist, now think of breaking a glass and how all the little splinters behave. They have much more “freedom” then when they were a part of the bigger glass. But why is the universe this way, why don’t things go from disorder to order? No one really knows but the best explanation is that when the big bang happened it sort of set the pace and norms for how the universe functions, which is why time only moves forward. The universe itself started out as a tiny orderly speck, and has since been expanding and becoming more disorderly as time allows greater variability. But scientists tend to gloss over exactly how the universe started out orderly, rather they just tend to say that’s how it was and leave it at that.

We know that God is the all powerful master of everything, and He has the power to do whatever He wants. But is He a being comprised of intelligent energy that literally binds the very universe together, or are these simply practical applications of His power and He actually exists in a frame of reference all his own? I’m not sure, and we may never know. But the deeper point is that there is something holding the universe together and causing things to behave in the ways that they do. In some cases literally influences particles to do things that cannot be physically explained, such as how it all started, because according to physics the big bang could not have happened. Scientists and physicists are stumped because the science isn’t giving them any conclusive answers, because they are looking for natural explanations for God’s handy work.. In our quest to understand our own reality, I think we have truly stumbled upon not only an aspect of God that has very real physical applications, but we may have even discovered the possible very nature of what God is, or at least could be. In the end I leave it up to you to decide, use and abuse the facts as you will. After all my goal is to broaden ideas and develop interesting concepts, not necessarily to prove only one viewpoint or possibility.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: The Nature of God

Post  Jedi Joe on 11/14/2011, 21:58

Wow, a very interesting and heavy hypothesis indeed. I love it! It sounds similar to one of Carl Sagan's ideas, to where God is the laws of nature. He was, however, an agnostic atheist but said he would be comfortable believing in such a god.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/15/2011, 10:19

Yeah I have since come to the realization that this hypothesis may be flawed as it doesn't describe Heaven or Hell. So rather this may explain some of the nature of what God is, but probably not all. After all, there is probably no way for us to rationally describe God, being e almighty and we mere mortals.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  lemonpartygirl on 1/11/2013, 15:41

Wow, I really like how you are able to use factual science, to show gods love for us. cheers

lemonpartygirl

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 1/11/2013, 17:32

Well it's sort of more of a theory. But thanks! Smile

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  4ever4god on 1/11/2013, 23:35

London wrote:Well it's sort of more of a theory. But thanks! Smile

its an awesome theory...i absolutely love how you posses two beliefs, that in "regular" society, and to some people, seem to be conflicting in some way. Science vs. religion, your use of the two ideas in one theory is truly a great advancement in the bridging of the beliefs of church and state.

Heaven surely has a plan for you!!!!

Very Happy cheers

4ever4god

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 1/14/2013, 20:52

Well thanks! Very Happy Yeah I am of the belief that science and Faith not only go together, but depend on each other to explain each other. To me science explains the nitty gritty of God's wonderful Creation. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top