Project Natal Launch

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project Natal Launch

Post  0001 on 9/16/2009, 22:46

Now THIS is just kriffin amazing:

Players will no longer need a control pad or joystick to control on-screen video game action, after Microsoft launched “Project Natal”, a motion-sensing control system for its Xbox 360 video games console.

The announcement was made as Microsoft unveiled new technology and a formidable video game line-up for the Xbox 360. The device will do away with the need for a traditional control pad or joystick in favour of a high-tech camera that can pick up movement.

The sensor enables gamers to score goals by kicking at a virtual football and fire at enemies by pulling an imaginary trigger.

It uses a camera, depth sensor, microphones and special software to build a three-dimensional map of body movement. It can also respond to voice commands, directions, and a change in the player’s tone of voice.

Microsoft said that unlike some similar systems, which work by recognising specific commands, the Xbox 360 system can understand normal patterns of speech. Cameras and the development kit have been sent to third-party developers but no launch date for technology has yet been set.

“The next step in interactive entertainment is to make the controller disappear,” said Steven Speilberg, the Hollywood film director, who unveiled the new technology at E3, the annual electronic entertainment expo in Los Angeles.

“With this device, we’ll see games that bring everyone together through technology that actually recognises us.”

The new system is part of Microsoft’s ongoing efforts to win over so-called “casual” gamers, who have, until now, favoured the Nintendo Wii console, which uses motion sensing controllers.

Video game fans will also be able to update their Facebook status directly from their Xbox 360 console, and listen to streamed music on the device via Last.fm, a song recommendation service that enables users to build their own personalised radio stations of their favourite music.

“We are always asking ourselves how to make the TV more social,” said John Schappert, a senior vice-president at Microsoft. “By bringing Facebook, Last.fm and Twitter to the Xbox 360, we’re not oly extending the walls of your living room beyond your home to your friends in different corners of the world.

“We’re creating the definitive social network.”

The announcements came on the first day of E3, the annual video game show at which publishers and console makers show off their product line-up for the coming year.

Sony and Nintendo hold their press conferences the following day, where Sony is widely expected to launch their own motion-sensing control system for the PlayStation 3, as well as a new PSP handheld games console.

Almost makes me want to fork out the money for one. Ofcourse this holds a lot of potential for other uses as well, such as robotics... Wink Original article
HERE.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Project Natal Launch

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 9/19/2009, 13:12

as far as video games go, there is one obvious problem: fatigue. Holding ones arms up like that to drive a virtual car would make your arms tired very quickly. They could make it more sensitive to motion, requiring less movement to do something in the game, but then you would shoot everyone, throw grenades, and start Armageddon every time you sneezed. This whole fad of video games detecting user motion, rather than just controller input, has been around since duck hunt. It has potential in military training programs, I think, but as far as gaming goes, it will probably remain nothing more than a nifty gadget.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/19/2009, 22:20

That's true, people seemed pretty psyched about it so we'll see how it works. But yeah the biggest potential for this is training programs.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/21/2009, 18:04

Dude... Angry egg.. (nice name by the way) This is the coolest thing since the 360 actually came out! Imagine... a motion capture system that's actually MORE fun the Wii.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/21/2009, 19:01

I want to see how well it works first, then I'll decide how good it is.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/21/2009, 19:03

dude.. you saw it... NOW BELIEVE IT!
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/21/2009, 19:05

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:dude.. you saw it... NOW BELIEVE IT!

I mean in real life, not vids.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/21/2009, 19:06

I'm just messing with you... I know what you mean. I want a 360... (my mom might get me one after we finish the remodel on our house...)

Then NATEL is MINE!
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/21/2009, 19:09

I wonder if it would be possible to hack Natal to work for......other purposes/platforms. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/21/2009, 19:10

you KNOW there will be some kind of limitation. like the whole thing self-destructs when you open it..
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/21/2009, 19:15

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:you KNOW there will be some kind of limitation. like the whole thing self-destructs when you open it..

HAHAHAHAHAHA! But we all know Xbox uses a pretty standard processor and stuff, so except for software blocks, I bet it would be compatible with other systems, especially PCs.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/21/2009, 20:55

That would be awesome man....
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 9/22/2009, 04:03

That is so amazing... Now they need to make a Star Wars game compatible for that for us nerds!

But now, I'm waiting to see what Sony has up their sleeve for the PS3! Shocked
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/22/2009, 17:48

Hehehehe.. Got you beat on that one.. They are basically coming out with a wii remote for the PS3. It kinda does EVERYTHING though. It's not nearly as exciting as the Project Natal though.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/22/2009, 19:22

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Hehehehe.. Got you beat on that one.. They are basically coming out with a wii remote for the PS3. It kinda does EVERYTHING though. It's not nearly as exciting as the Project Natal though.

Info/link, or it didn't happen! Shocked

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/22/2009, 20:37

..... okay

Here you go... this is almost BETTER than Natal.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 9/22/2009, 20:40

Whoah............now that's interesting. Shocked Good 'ol G4 I see. Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/22/2009, 20:49

hahaha, yea....
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 9/22/2009, 21:33

I think it's cool, just impractical. Sort of like scenster kids wearing glasses frames without lenses. Well, that isn't cool as much as just sad, but you get my point.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 9/23/2009, 20:49

Well aren't you the little stick in the swamp...
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Mangerpola on 2/25/2010, 05:51

I would like to thanks for this nice informative topic.

thanks

Mangerpola

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/25/2010, 17:48

Sure thing, that's what we do. Razz Welcome BTW. Smile

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 2/25/2010, 19:26

PS3 copies wii all the time because it's so successful.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 2/25/2010, 22:25

Yeah pretty much. Razz

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 2/26/2010, 09:29

The PS3 remotes are so much better than the Wii ones though... And I would prefer them over the natal launch for FPS/lightsaber games.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top