The world has no respect

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The world has no respect

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 11/5/2009, 22:48

@PoWn3d: I can see that. Don't necessarily share that view myself, but I can see where you're coming from.

Just my two cents, I think it's important to concentrate on following God, not on resisting the devil. To **** with the devil and what he's doing, I don't care. As long as I know I'm trying my best to be like Jesus (you know, groovy and nice to everyone and just a cool cat in general....for some reason, I always imagine Jesus as I think he would've been in the 70's, complete with slang), the devil doesn't matter to me. He (if he is an entity) is just a miserable old man telling me to steal $10 out of my mom's purse. But I decide that Jesus wouldn't do that, so I shouldn't do it, so I don't, and I'm fine.

I think that, regardless of whether or not you 'believe in the Devil', you are perfectly capable of feeling and resisting temptation, and thus it doesn't matter if you believe in him literally or figuratively. Either way, he's bad.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/5/2009, 23:02

Well, within your statement lies my point... It doesn't matter if we feel him or see him as long as we resist him. (him being the idea) It is free will that allows us to do such things as 'resist the devil', So.... in that... it means that it doesnt really matter if he is real or not.... get me?
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/5/2009, 23:49

Yeah I see you're point. But also the old addage "Ignorance is bliss" comes to mind... Wink

Sure you should not focus on him, but you should not write him off either.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/5/2009, 23:54

The point is that the devil did not create anything, there is nothing to show he exists. We know God exists. He made everything.

Humans are the cause of 'evil'.
We do a good enough job of that without a devil..
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 11/6/2009, 07:38

What really ticks me off is Christians who say "I believe in Heaven, but I don't believe in Hell"...

That is a bunch of garbage. You can't have a God without a devil, you can't have a Heaven without a hell, you can't have a good without an evil. The devil does exist, that is why there is evil in this universe.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/6/2009, 10:21

Joe just summed up my view on it pretty darned good. Egg, you might have competition! Razz

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 11/6/2009, 11:27

Sad That makes me sad. I'm just trying to figure out where I stand on this.

I still say that it doesn't matter if Satan is an entity or metaphor. The point is to be like Jesus. When I say that, I'm not saying forget about Satan or write him off. All I'm saying is that rather than focusing on your fear of doing what Satan wants, one should focus on the joy of doing what Jesus wants. I would say a Christian is a follower of Christ, rather than a resistor of Satan. Otherwise, the religion would be called Anti-Luciferism.

@Joe: Heaven and hell are different from God and Satan. You can have hell without a 'Satan' entity. Hell is where unrepentant sinners will be punished by God. Hell is where Satan will go, as he's pretty much the head honcho of unrepentant sinners, him being the first one and all. And you can have God without Satan, because God created Satan. Therefore, God existed before Satan.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/6/2009, 11:31

@Egg: True, and you do bring up a lot of key points. Anit-luciferism, that's great. Razz That just made my day. But denying the Devil exists is still dangerous. It's like denying the Holocaust. It happened, regardless of what we think. And the Devil exists, we can say what we want, but regardless we can't change the way it is. I totally agree with everything you said Egg, it's correct. But I'd like to add that you should not forget about the Devil. Know you're enemy and all. Wink

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 11/6/2009, 11:46

I know you shouldn't forget about the devil. All I'm saying is that the emphasis should be on following Jesus.
I'm not denying the existence of the devil. I believe he exists, but I also don't think it matters if he's an entity or a metaphor, as they amount to the same thing: temptation to commit sins. The act of resisting temptation is synonymous with resisting the devil, whichever kind you believe in. So, if you think Old Scratch is actually out to get you or not, the main thing is to just be like Jesus. Occasionally when you do slip up, pray to God for a speedy delivery of your horned antagonist to hell, ask for forgiveness, try your best to not do it again, and carry on your merry way.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/6/2009, 11:53

AH, gotcha. Yeah, you are so totally right. I misunderstood at first. But yeah, as you say, that's the way to go.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/27/2009, 01:37

We're actually on topic.... wait... No we arent.... lol, anyways, I completely agree EGG, on most things.

There is no nothing after this for me... I'm stuck in limbo. Shocked
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 11/27/2009, 11:08

All humans are imperfect and everyone should look at their own life and see what one can change, with the aid of God, so people may become more like the image of Christ.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/28/2009, 18:49

@Powned: Good luck with that... Shocked

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/29/2009, 00:41

Lol, stupid catholic church and their ideas of limbo.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/29/2009, 11:35

Umm yeah, no offense to Catholics, but their view of Christianity is a bit......how should I put this, skewed... Church officials are not required to act as an intermediary between you and God, the relationship is with you and him alone. You can pay in money to get forgivness of sins. Worshipping saints is actually wrong as it is worshiping icons. And there is no such thing as purgatory. I'm willing to bet more people are turned AWAY from Christianity by the Catholic faith and it's immense complexity then are saved, simply because it is way too structured.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/29/2009, 20:46

I complety agree. Christainity is more free, more fun. Catholicism is really complicated and stupid. Make a topic called christiainity vs catholism.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 11/29/2009, 21:26

I just read a book on the Catholic Church and I think they are too materialistic.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/29/2009, 21:41

You think everyone is too materialistic crinkle. How so? What did it say to make you think that?
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 11/29/2009, 21:46

It was about the pope himself and they don't need a vacation home as big as the village it's in. Also he doesn't need all those nice robes and jeweled hats/ other various uneeded stuff.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 11/29/2009, 22:01

I know some Catholics, my grandma being one of them. Their views can be a little twisted, but I believe that they are Christians just like us and that they will be in heaven along with us.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/29/2009, 22:04

I'm catholic actually, and I see nothing seriously wrong with their thinking.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 11/30/2009, 19:06

Naw, in all truth they meet all qualifications, and as Joe said, they will all go to Heaven and are Christians. Personally I have no problems with the faith (The modern one anyway), I just think it's a bit too complex. Heck if I had a chance to meet the Pope, I'd consider it an honor.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 11/30/2009, 19:07

Yea, the Pope is pretty awesome.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 11/30/2009, 19:41

I do agree with the point of worshipping saints.... Basically.. When I asked my teacher about it, she just told me that it was different that worshipping god. And that was it.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 11/30/2009, 21:39

I want the pope's cool hat.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard