God vs Science?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: God vs Science?

Post  0001 on 10/19/2009, 19:07

Sgt Angry Egg wrote:.....This is why religion is a matter of faith, not science.

Wrong, actually science DOES prove the existence of God, especially biology. Science and Christianity actually go hand in hand, they are not opposing views as everybody seems to claim, they bot compliment and prove the value of each other. And how do we know God exists, well for one true Christians can actually feel him, literally. The Holy Spirit feels like a fire buning inside of you, but a good fire. He motivates you to do his work, and to further his kingdom. He also helps keep us going, and gives us hope. When I'm doing God's work, I can feel him, and the more I do, the more I feel his energy consume me, and it truly is a wonderful feeling. Very Happy Secondly, we know he exists because when you hand yourself over to him, coincidences start happening in your life that you realize is God working, ecause of the sheer regularity and magnitude of them. Strange, complex, and wonderful things will happen in your life, and often you don't realize it was God working until later, when you think back and say to yourself: "Now wasn't that quite a coincidence...." When in fact, it wasn't. Wink I can speak on this subject because I have actually experienced this in my own life. Smile

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 10/19/2009, 19:10

Yes, alot of the Old Testament restrictions were based off of science. Like eating blood of an animal, we now know that it is unhealthy to do that, and God said in the New Testament that it is no longer a sin.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/19/2009, 20:34

^ Yes exactly, thank you Joe. Smile

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 10/20/2009, 20:53

Your experiences do not PROVE God's existence, though. From an outside point of view, there is no Scientific evidence. That does not mean there is not psychological, emotional, or spiritual evidence.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/20/2009, 20:59

Actually there is scientific evidence, in tiny little machines that in no way could have evolved on there own, due to their complexity, and the nature of natural selection. It's too bad you missed the last meeting, we watched a video from a scientific point of view, not made with Christianity in mind, and it delved into why creative design is the only answer to these tiny little machines. It was funny to see these shell-shocked biologists suddenly explaining that God actully does exist. It was a great video.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt Angry Egg on 10/20/2009, 21:06

I understand that point. All I'm saying is that although it is the most logical, practical, and probable solution to say there is a God, that isn't necessarily proof.

For example, in math there are 'limits' of functions. As x approaches the trivial number C, f(x) approaches another number. Although it's pretty much taken for granted that as x approaches c, f(x) will approach f(c), it isn't necessarily true. Just overwhelmingly probably.

Another example: put a cat in a box. Close the box. Assuming this is a sound proof box, you have no reason to believe that there is a cat inside the box, save for the fact that it is overwhelmingly probable that the cat is still there. You just can't know. You can't see it, touch it, smell it (hopefully), hear it (it's a sound proof box), or taste it (why would you want to?). All you have is faith that the cat is still in the box, and hasn't vaporized or something extremely, ridiculously improbable like that.
Sgt Angry Egg
The Voice of Reason

A6 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/20/2009, 21:08

Oh, gotcha, I see your point now.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/20/2009, 23:41

Lol, I like the cat in the box analagy.

And no, the whole point of the movie was to simply prove darwins theroy wong, not to prove there is a god. I do believe that darwins theroy isn't COMPLETLY true, most of it is. Nature selects which atribues work the best and select them to move on. Then again, that could be god experimenting. We honestly just don't know. However, that movie was far from convincing me there is in fact a god. It leaves many of my questions unanswered. Besides, most of it is guess work anyways.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

We need faith now

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 10/21/2009, 07:08

We all need some faith in these changing times. Well Sgt. Angry Egg it's something that feels comforting and many of my prayers are answered. But I will tell you I do have doubts sometimes but there is always a strand of faith holding me there.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/21/2009, 09:30

PoWn3d_0704 wrote: ....most of it is guess work anyways.

Not really, but I guess the entirety of science is really only just guess work too so....

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/21/2009, 18:23

Not all of it... And I'm sure scientist would perfer you use 'educated guess'
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/21/2009, 20:57

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Not all of it... And I'm sure scientist would perfer you use 'educated guess'

Yeah, science really actually is just from certain points of view. Finding the actual truth can be quite difficult sometimes. Even when not in reference to God.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/28/2009, 23:30

.......... I'm disapointed in you.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/29/2009, 19:31

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:.......... I'm disapointed in you.

No seriously, they been teaching us this in Physics.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/29/2009, 19:45

Do you consider yourself a scientist?
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/29/2009, 19:47

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Do you consider yourself a scientist?

Yessir, that I do. By the deffinition of a scientist, I am one.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/29/2009, 19:52

Then you need to be able to throw religion to the side.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/29/2009, 19:56

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Then you need to be able to throw religion to the side.

ABSOLUTLY WRONG! Christianity and Science go TOGETHER, not apart. ANY Christian knows this. It's so obvious to the believers that we laugh that it's such a big issue among everybody in the scientific community. They go perfectly together, not apart. They compliment, not contradict each other. I'm rather disappointed that so many fail to realize this out of their sheer ignorance. Rolling Eyes

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWn3d_0704 on 10/29/2009, 19:58

Science is unbiased.
Religion is not...
Boom! Bam!
You are wrong.
PoWn3d_0704
The Voice of Insanity

E1 Standard
Sector 2

SED

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/29/2009, 20:42

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Science is unbiased.
Religion is not...
Boom! Bam!
You are wrong.

Nope, science is even more biased and blind then any religion. I mean, how do they respond to any outside ideas? Even ones that make sense? They blast it, call it false, and do everything they can to denounce it. And what about certain theories, like the "oh so wonderful and true" evolution, do we have any proof? NO, does everyone blindly believe and even fight for it? HECK YES! And now you want to talk to me about blind faith, and being un-biased. ALL OF SCIENCE IS BIASED AND BASED ON BLIND FAITH! Have YOU ever done any of the experiments? Do you understand all the calculations? All the methods involved? Have you actually experienced most or any of it? No you havn't, and yet are you blindly devoted to it? Yes, or we wouldn't be having this conversation. At least I can feel and see God working in my life. And I'm happy, and content with my life, for the first time ever.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi Joe on 10/29/2009, 20:54

Why would God go against science if He created it? It's all common sense. The universe is too complicated for this all to happen by accident. And I have enough evidence to prove that it was the Christian God, because I have seen God do the scientifically impossible. I have been in situations where the laws of science could not have possibly applied. I have heard of situations where Christians have survived the unsurvivable, because of what they believed.

Whether or not God created the Universe in 6 days, or 6 billions years, whether or not He created us from the dust of the ground, or by evolving us from an ape... It all doesn't matter how He created us, it matters that He did create us, and there is undeniable proof that he did.
Jedi Joe
Skyologist

None
None

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/29/2009, 20:58

Thank you Joe! For those of you who don't know, Joe is also a scientist, he is a self-taught I'll say expert on space and the weather. He believes fully in God, and also science. Very Happy

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 10/29/2009, 21:18

We need to see how Christianity works and fits with science so we tolerate it.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2

USO

Back to top Go down

Post  0001 on 10/29/2009, 21:29

Cpt. Crinkle wrote:We need to see how Christianity works and fits with science so we tolerate it.

Tolerate isn't quite the right word, see the way you worded that, you're approaching the issue like John, but from the other side. See, in general, Science and Christianity go TOGETHER, they don't "tolerate" or "contradict" each other. The only issues arise with science that without a question of a doubt attack Christian values and morals.

Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt. Crinkle on 10/29/2009, 21:31

As long as they fit together.

Cpt. Crinkle
Shot First

A6 Standard
Sector 2