Thoughts on being Christian today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts on being Christian today

Post  0001 on 11/3/2011, 11:11

Every day at lunch I go out to my car and read my Bible, my goal is to read it all the way through word for word, I'm currently at II Kings. All throughout the Bible the Israelites take every opportunity to turn away from God's teachings, even in the presence of prophets and miracles. I got to thinking about that, it's still going on today. Look at society, people are bent of having their own way and doing what they want. All they think about is fulfilling their own selfish impulses and desires and nothing can get in the way. We have this false belief that humans are the top dawgs in the universe and therefore nothing should be able to regulate us, especially old fashioned morals regarding marriage, sex, tattoos, body piercings, and things like that which have become heated issues now as things that were once considered taboo are becoming more mainstream. I've even seen other Christians get on Facebook and other forms of social media and in person and go on and on about an issue that is clearly defined in the Bible, but yet they are taking the anti-Biblical viewpoint! Have Christians these days forgotten that the Bible is our instruction manual about how to live our earthly lives? Most people forget about (or simply ignore) the bigger picture, which is that this life is only a test of sorts for our soul. God did not want a fleet of mindless robots worhsiping Him which is why he gave us free will. We have the freedom to make bad decisions which we regulalry exercise. But because of that freedom it makes our love of Him more genuine for those of us that believe. It also opens up a huge doorway for those of us that don't. These folks tend to focus only on this life because to them this is all they've got. They tend to advocate change and greater rights and freedoms, either for themselves, other people like them, or the corporations that they run. They have become blinded by this world into a false reality that this is all there is. I often where a T-shirt that shows a picture of the world and says "In it not of it, know Him" which pretty much sums up my views, I'm IN the world but not OF the world. I'm a Christian and this is only a part of my greater walk with God. To be the best Christian I can be I'm a strong believer in Biblical philosphy, if we don't know the Bible then how do we know what God expects of us? That is how the misguided Christians I mentioned earlier came to take their wrongful viewpoints on certain hot topic issues, because they either didn't read their Bible's or didn't care to head the teachings. Back to that whole free will thing. Atheists tend to argue that God created us with original sin, He didn't, we brought about sin on ourselves when we chose to eat the apple, a choice that only could have happened because of free will. I guess I'll sum up by saying that God is amazingly forgiving, He is always willing to welcome us back after we inevitably screw up, however He also wants more than that, He wants us to be more like Him, to walk in His ways, and the only way to do that is to understand exactly what His ways are, and you can only do that by reading your Bible. Soceity will fight you every step of the way, because the Enemy doesn't want us to walk with God, he wants us to give in to temptation and follow his wicked ways, society is his best friend because it's a manifestation of his false teachings. But stikc to your guns, because if God is with you, who can be against you?

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on being Christian today

Post  80-0 on 11/8/2011, 09:25

In mundo, non mundi. I believe strongly in tradition too. Too many "reformers" who feel that they have discovered the secret between the lines of the Bible are only further confusing folks who have interpreted the Bible the same way since the time of Christ.
80-0

None
None

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on being Christian today

Post  0001 on 11/8/2011, 09:54

Oh yes, and the new things they tend to find are always ways to disobey God's teachings or to divulge in something that humans want but God does not.

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." -Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Executive Director

Executive Director
Sector 2

Central Command

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top